Author Topic: Honda VFR800 Pre V Tech  (Read 1418 times)

Offline cooleronthecoast

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Honda VFR800 Pre V Tech
« on: July 25, 2020, 06:37:03 PM »
I'm looking at the above with a view to getting one as a winter hack bike.  I actually owned one myself about 15 years ago and I recall it was a great all rounder and relatively bulletproof in most areas, but none of them are getting any younger (just like our beloved SOHC models) so I was wondering if anyone who has one now and has perhaps owned it for several years can give me any pointers?  I know the exhaust collector is a rusting point and hence possible problem area, but is there anything else I should be looking for specifically on these bikes?  Someone mentioned rectifiers as another potential weak spot.  Thanks
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 06:45:09 PM by cooleronthecoast »
Now where did I put that 10mm socket?

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Honda VFR800 Pre V Tech
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 07:21:14 PM »
I had one.

You’ve mentioned the collector box and the reg/rec.

As you have to remove most of the fairing to get at the oil filter, check the fit and all the screws. They get overtightened and crack the grp. They also get lost .

Also, check the suspension linkage as they seize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline cooleronthecoast

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 08:20:49 PM »
Thanks Steve, I'm going to look at a couple next week so I'll bear your comments in mind

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 11:00:16 PM »
I bought one new in 1998, sold it in 2007 to buy a Sprint 1050 a big mistake IMHO. I bought another one in 2018, it was a 1999 FiX with 20k on it and it was/is immaculate with no signs of rust or corrosion anywhere (unlike the ST1050 that corroded before my eyes). They are seriously great bikes, handling is fantastic, a lovely sound if you swap out the standard end can and great brakes, Panel fit is also fantastic.
You've mentioned the reg/rec, I changed mine last year after it cooked the battery. If you can get a bike with the stainless header and collector box fitted, they are expensive to buy new and a pain to fit.
Dashboard electronics can go wonky so dont soak them when you wash the bike. I also fitted a MRA screen to mine with the wind defelctor as being 5'11'' the wind blast would bounce off the standard screen and under my helmet (stop sniggering at the back  ::)). The best optional extra I've fitted, a Sargent seat, its like an armchair, i could sit in it all day. The standard seat is not only rock hard after 100 miles but also having no texture means you tend to slide along it and into the back of the fuel tank under breaking.
Make sure the bike you purchase has the rear pillion grab handles included in the sale, a lot dont as PO's lost them as there is no where to store them under the saddle as you could with the old VFR750's. I had to pay £90 to obtain a s/h set from ebay and that was cheap!
A mate of mine has been a Honda mechanic for 40+ years and he's seen these engines go for over 100k without any problems and especially with the cam gear drive unlike the later V-Tec with its snaking long cam chain that has tensioner issues. The can gear engines are bulletproof if treated to oil changes and give a lovely sounding whine that only cam gear drive does. My valves didn't need adjusting at the 16,000 mile service according to the PO, I had them checked at 22k and they are still fine, no adjustment from original setting required.
Get one, you will love it and they are holding their value well for a 20+ year old bike, good ones go for £2500+.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline cooleronthecoast

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 08:35:26 AM »
Cheers Dave,

Regarding the regulator/rectifier issues, I've read if you fit a heat sink and a cooling fan that helps, but it seems to me that's a lot of work and possibly expense to cure something thats overheating.   When you replaced yours did you go for a straight OE item or is there an uprated reg/rec available? Is it possible to relocate it to a place where it receives more airflow to keep it cool?

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 11:28:44 AM »
I had an almost new VFR800 pre V-Tec one in 2000 which I commuted from Box Hill to Canary Wharf on for about 6 months. The single sided swing arm was a joy when changing the rear tyre and it was a brilliant piece of engineering (at the time). It never missed a beat apart from the alarm regularly playing up when I refuelled at a Garage in Banstead. I was scratching my head one time when a Mechanic at the Garage said the alarm was being 'interfered with' by a Radio Ham who lived opposite........and when I wheeled the bike 50 yards down the road, it started perfectly !

After about 6 months I sold it because my right elbow was killing me...........the riding position just didn't suit me.....although it was comfortable. The only other negative was I often couldn't get it to change up from first to second without a crunch.....must have been me.

It was an X reg in Yellow and the way it was put together was splendid....typical Honda and I was really sad to see it go. The new Owner came with a Guy who owned a swanky Ducati and he road tested it round the small Village where I lived..........he was very complimentary about the bike.........said something about how it handled nearly as well as his £20K Ducati ! 

Mine was completely standard...I never felt the need to customise it as it was a superb machine......it handled beautifully and went like the clappers.....I was hooked after about 2 miles when I road tested it down the A41 outside Hemel Hempstead. I'm sure you will enjoy the experience if you fancy one. 
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 09:34:16 AM »
I bought a new reg/rec from Electrex World. It's been perfect since. The unit they sell is uprated, the specs are:
Type: MOSFET TECHNOLOGY

Produces less heat than conventional shunt regulator.
    Works where airlow is limited.
    In-built thermal protection.
    Manufactured by ourselves here in the UK.

It cost about £90 nearly three years ago. I've heard of people fitting a small fan from a PC to cool them but I think that is more to do with a OEM unit, I dont fancy hacking into the wiring loom and room is very tight around there due to the seat fairing.
I agree with Alan about the first gear 'clunk', I had the same on my first one and again on this one. I also had the same on a hired VFR so guess its normal and I've never heard any horror stories about broken gears or bent selector forks. Honda did gain a reputation in the 90's for having a 'clunk' when selecting first gear on a few of their bikes, road testers would actually comment on it.
Also like Alan I had problems with the after market alarm. My first bike had a Spyball alarm fitted from new by HGB where I bought the bike, avoid Spyball alarms, they are a PIA! Mine had a habit of not disarming, not great at 6am in the morning when trying to go to work. Sometimes it would just go off at random (I live close to Northolt RAF base and they used to use jammers and I'm sure that had someting to do with it). The alarm on my current VFR is a basic Datatool and it's perfect, its just an immobilser and has been on the bike for 20+ years.
Let us know if you buy one.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline cooleronthecoast

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 05:26:03 PM »
Well I've gone and done it and bought one.  :)

I don't pick it up until a week on Saturday so pics and impressions of the ride home to follow.

Offline cooleronthecoast

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 05:35:28 PM »
I picked up the VFR this morning and thoroughly enjoyed the 60 odd mile ride home.   

First impressions are it's very much as I recollect my last VFR was, i.e. a very competent all rounder and considering the years that have elapsed since I had my last example, this one doesn't ride like an older bike. Its very sharp and focussed and is a joy to ride.   Previous owners have saved me doing various mods as they are already in place.  Namely heated handlebar grips, an MRA screen deflector, the Reg/Rec has been replaced with an uprated one and there is a nice sounding Remus exhaust can fitted.  The rest of the exhaust, whilst I don't think its made of stainless steel, looks in good order.  The bike only passed an MOT last week so it should be OK for a while at least.   Details like the pillion handgrips and the seat hump, even the toolkit are all there and in good shape.  I noticed the oil feed pipes have also been changed for stainless steel items at some time.  The only thing the bike will need in the near future is a front tyre which was noted as an advisory on the MOT.   The rear tyre is almost new.  All in all I'm one very happy bunny.   For a short time at least I now have 4 bikes in the garage, although the CB550 will be departing for pastures new before the end of the month.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 06:43:35 PM by cooleronthecoast »

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 01:45:47 PM »
Congratulations on the purchase. I see you have a red one, not many people know this but the red ones were the fastest👍. Sounds like you have a bike with all the correct bits and some worthwhile quality extras.
It will serve you well, a brilliant bike.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline cooleronthecoast

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2020, 01:34:16 PM »
A quick update for anyone who's interested. 

I got a new front tyre fitted (a Pilot Road 2) to match the rear and I've also bought a Delkevic stainless exhaust system, minus the end can, which I'll fit over winter.  I also got some handlebar risers as I found I was getting wrist ache after about an hour in the saddle.  The rear OE Showa shock is OK, but feels a little tired, especially when you start to press on as it were, but after 27,000 miles and 21 years I suppose its entitled to be  retired gracefully,  so I've got a Sachs unit off my Tuono that I'm hoping will fit.  If not I'll probably buy a Hagon or something similar and that should be it for mods.   I'm really enjoying riding the VFR and currently it gets more use than my other two bikes as its just so easy and practical to ride.   For a couple of grand (or less!) they are brilliant value for money bikes IMHO.

Offline Oggie400F

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2020, 05:50:25 PM »
I’m pleased that you are liking your VFR.
I love mine but like you I’m getting wrist ache and my exhaust headers are getting a little too rusty for my liking.
I would be interested to hear where you got your risers from and how you get on with fitting the aftermarket st/st exhaust headers.

Cheers.  Ian
I'm a Radiographer............I can see right through you!!

1999 VFR800 fix in Pearl Prism Black
1978 CB750F1 in Candy Presto Red
1976 CB550F Supersport Brat Bike in Black
1976 CB400F in Varnish Blue - project bike in many bits.

Offline cooleronthecoast

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2020, 06:22:18 PM »
Hi Ian

These are the risers I bought:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handle-bar-Risers-for-Honda-VFR750-VFR800-Fi-Model-1988-2001-41mm-forks/153909867154?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Re the exhaust, mine is actually not in bad nick, but I thought at £230 delivered, the Delkevic set up was too good to miss.  I will let you know how I get on with fitting it.  I have bought a set of 8 new cylinder head studs in case I encounter problems when taking the old exhaust off.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal