Author Topic: Piranha Electronic Ignition Timing  (Read 465 times)

Offline TKMSteve

• View Profile
Piranha Electronic Ignition Timing
« on: August 20, 2020, 10:40:59 AM »
My 78 F2 garage find came to me with Piranha ignition fitted. I did a full strip down of the engine so marked all the ignition plates so I could replace exactly when rebuilding.
So rebuilt and checked static timing as per Piranha instructions and all seemed to line up well with timing marks and dots on plates pre-strip down.
Pirhana instructions recommend timing with a strobe light so bought a Gunson Xenon unit.
Followed the Pirhana instructions to time in at 3000 rpm but in doing so I have moved the timing plate to its maximum position before running out of adjustment. Odd.
Not happy with that big change.
So my question is has anybody done a static Pirhana timing with a bulb as per points system? And how to connect up?
Thanks.

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
Re: Piranha Electronic Ignition Timing
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 08:07:00 PM »
On my Boyer electronic ignition, I have have a "static" mark that also corresponds with tickover  (1200rpm) speed, and the timing gun should show that and then the advance going up on engine speed to a max advance at 4000 rpm
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Piranha Electronic Ignition Timing
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 05:58:53 PM »
I have Pirhana ignition on my 500K1 for the last 12 years. It was fitted to my Guzzi in the 80s and I adapted it for the even firing 4. I didn’t think there was a way of statically setting it accurately. I notice that at tickover is a little advanced, but I set it at 3500-4000 rpm, but it still relies on the old mechanical advance mechanism.
On the Kettle site I notice that Newtronic advised to file the slots in the plate longer.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal