Author Topic: Brake master cylinder rebuild kit  (Read 1611 times)

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Brake master cylinder rebuild kit
« on: August 09, 2020, 01:22:23 AM »
I have a brake master cylinder kit from 4 into 1:

https://4into1.com/reproduction-brake-master-cylinder-rebuild-kit-45530-377-305-cb360-cb400f-cb450-cb500t-cb550-cb750/)

I know not everyone has had success with these rebuilds, but what the heck...

Regarding lubricating the reassembling bits: the Honda manual says to use brake fluid.  The 4 into 1 kit includes a tiny tub of pinkish grease, but doesn't say what kind it is or exactly where/how to use it (I've got silicone grease for use in the caliper, as recommended in the manual).  I've seen a Youtube tutorial in which Marvel Mystery Oil is used.  I'm tempted to forego the grease and oil and just use the brake fluid as the manual recommends - anyone have better ideas?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Brake master cylinder rebuild kit
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 08:06:18 AM »
Brake fluid on the seals WEAR GLOVES use the greasin the area above the circlip to try and stop corrosion like there was when you took it apart.

When rebuilt these masters frequently need bleeding to banjo fitting.

With gloves on put a finger over the outlet hole and pull in lever, release and re apply finger, release lever. Repeat until you get pressure on finger then whilst holding lever in quickly fit pipe with banjo bolt and washers----oh should have said have them handy before starting!!

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 09:22:05 AM »
Thanks for the tips Bryan!  I have some big syringes, one of which I was going to use to try to fill the system from the bottom through the bleeder, but if that doesn't work out, I'll remember your suggestion...

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 10:00:21 AM »
It wont is the easy answer, i find well over 95% of the masters need to be bled the way i said, also forgot to mention make sure both the holes from reservoir to bore are clear one is tiny

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 10:12:55 AM »
It wont is the easy answer, i find well over 95% of the masters need to be bled the way i said, also forgot to mention make sure both the holes from reservoir to bore are clear one is tiny

I would say the same Bryan.
You have to bleed the M/C first as Bryan has explained or fit a banjo with a bleed nipple on the M/C  ;)

Offline Safo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 11:20:00 PM »
I attached a syringe to the bleed nipple on the caliper and sucked the fluid down whilst pumping the leaver, once fluid was in the system I just bled as normal, must add that was a 500 m/cyl
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 11:47:22 PM by Safo »

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 12:38:58 AM »
Regardless, I have a project ahead.  I watched a Youtube "video" (mostly a narrated slide show) which shows the master cylinder rebuilder inserting the spring with end caps, piston (with rubber seal installed) and flat washer, then getting the circlip just into the cavity and pushing the whole works down into place with a deep socket, which pushes on the clip evenly until it snaps into its groove and everything is in place in one go.

My reality: even with lots of brake fluid lubrication, the rubber seal on the piston doesn't insert without getting caught and folding up backwards on its way into the cavity.  I have to hold the piston in just the right spot against the spring pressure and use something small and gentle to push the lip of the seal into place (I used a red "wd-40" spray-type applicator straw).  But then I can't let up on the pressure holding the piston in place to install the washer and circiip or the rubber seal pops back out again - and I can't reinsert it with the washer and circlip in position.  I need four hands...

I removed the spring, re-inserted the piston and left it overnight - maybe sitting at rest, compressed into its working position will help make the seal easier to insert tomorrow... where I'll have some extra hands at work to assist me if need be...

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 09:18:45 AM »
I find assembly of brake seals etc easier with rubber grease or silicone grease,  the parts just offer less "snagging" and resistance in the situation you describe.

Prefer to leave it assembled with grease present on the outside rather than remaining brake fluid.

Deal with the bleeding through as already described above.

Have a close,  very close, look at the bore where the seal catches to make sure any previous corrosion has not left it effectively undersized.

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 09:55:36 AM »
I find assembly of brake seals etc easier with rubber grease or silicone grease,  the parts just offer less "snagging" and resistance in the situation you describe.

Thanks - I assumed that having grease on parts that are exposed to brake fluid was something to be avoided.  I don't have any "rubber" grease, but I do have silicone grease.

Prefer to leave it assembled with grease present on the outside rather than remaining brake fluid.

Not sure what you mean by this - I was planning on putting some grease on the washer and circlips to help prevent them from rusting up down the road...

Have a close,  very close, look at the bore where the seal catches to make sure any previous corrosion has not left it effectively undersized.

I have done this to the best of my ability.  I cleaned everything I could reach, then "honed" the cylinder with a small bit of cleaner-soaked 3M green scrubbing pad "trapped" on the end of a drill bit.  When inserting the working end of the piston into the cylinder, it fits perfectly and moves freely as long as the piston is perfectly centered and in line with the cylinder - if it's at all crooked, the piston drags and binds if I try to insert it...

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 11:00:36 AM »
"Thanks - I assumed that having grease on parts that are exposed to brake fluid was something to be avoided.  I don't have any "rubber" grease, but I do have silicone grease."

It's fine to use either red rubber grease ( most systems would be assembled with this in production) it'll just dissipate when the system is filled with fluid,  it's not a risk.

Silicone grease also is compatible with dot 4 brake fluid and won't compromise the integrity.  Most of these system will run dot4 or dot5 which is silicone brake fluid.

The bore originally would have have a very small chamfer on the approach side of the clip rebate to facilitate the seal passing into the bore.  It will often get left really sharpened and angular after corrosion takes place.  It's safe to re establish this as the seal will never need to operate on this area once it's passed through. 

To  "scrape"  it by hand you'd need to grind a tool out of an old hand file or similar to recut it.  Or usea proprietary deburr tool to get in there. It's only a small amount but stops the seal peeling back as you are getting.

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2020, 12:58:40 AM »
I got it done today.  I don't have much confidence in the job - it feels like I think it should, but it was such a hassle to get everything together, and I really feel like I abused the rubber bits trying to get everything in place, which I eventually did after a number of attempts.  We'll see what happens...

The only circlip tool I have is one of these cheap kit jobs:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

They are the devil's own - what horrible junk!  Never again...

Offline ewanhughes

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 05:22:10 PM »

Any hints or tips on unblocking the tiny hole in the reservoir?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 05:30:40 PM »
Two strands of multicore flex twisted together, usualy with piston out

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 05:32:13 PM »
Gently push a very, very fine piece of wire down the return hole. Don't make the hole any bigger than it is, as the system won't work properly.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal