SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB750

powder coating /engine block

(1/3) > >>

bobthebuilder:
Hi. Guys, been busy fetteling, and in need of some advice, powder coating on engine block past its best,  was thinking of rubbing down and painting, was wondering what would be best paint to use and any tips are welcome. This on my cb750k2?/k7 Franken Bike. Thanks in advance Bob. :-\

Spitfire:
Hi Bob, are you stripping the engine down and repainting individual items, are we talking about the head, barrels and crankcases ?

Cheers

Den

bobthebuilder:
Hi. Den,

Thanks for your reply, have removed engine from bike **** and I am polishing the barrels would like to spray crankcase.
                                                Bob,

Spitfire:
OK, when I was rebuilding mine I removed the head and barrels, masked off the side casings and set about cleaning up the rest.
The head had a broken exhaust stud so it was sent off to be fixed (local car repair shop) they sat the head in a bath for 2 days or so after the repair to clean it. This did not seem to do much at all, so I set about it with my Dremel, lots of little wire brushes, wire wool (Brillo pads), lolly sticks etc. Did the same with the barrels.
The crankcases were treated pretty much the same with some bits washed with paraffin to degrease them.
I did a search on the US SOHC site which came up with some VHT paint, aluminium, it is a pretty good match for the colour that Honda used.
The head, barrels, oil filter cover and small breather cover were sprayed left to dry and then cooked in the oven. Crankcases were sprayed and left to cure when the bike was fired up.
The paint seems to have weathered OK but then I do not use the bike on a daily basis, on the crankcases there are a couple of marks from spilt petrol but the rest of the engine seems OK, I did overcook the head so it does have a slight yellowish cast.
There is a lot of info on the US site on this subject, have a search and see what comes up http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php

Here's some photos of mine in progress.

Spitfire:
I got the paint at US Automotive (UK based) http://www.usautomotive.co.uk/store/scripts/prodList.asp
I do not have any experience of powder coating engine parts but I would presume that you would have to do a complete strip.
Forgot to show you the end result.

Cheers

Den

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version