Author Topic: Alternate air cleaner  (Read 873 times)

Offline ianhood

• View Profile
Alternate air cleaner
« on: August 13, 2020, 09:11:05 PM »
Posted this also on sohc4.net but...

If anyone here is interested in an alternative air filter for their 750k that isn't quite as ugly as the original, but which retains the original velocity stacks (and so should actually run correctly), I've been working on one. Picture attached.

It's made with laser cut 4mm aluminium and K&N filter (E-2990) that I believe was intended for the Datsun/Nissan 280ZX.

Offline ianhood

• View Profile
Re: Alternate air cleaner
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 09:14:44 PM »
...and the measurements if anybody wants to replicate

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 09:19:51 PM »
Looks interesting,  nice design also the quality of your work.

I'll watch to see what experience you get when running it.

Offline ianhood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 09:28:15 PM »
Nice of you to say but the quality is really all down to laser cutting. You could probably do it almost as well with a jigsaw (with a bit of time and patience) but I thought the £50 for laser cutting was worth it for the accuracy and quality of the finish. You could also use the original spec 280zx filter which would be much cheaper but a little more restrictive.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 10:00:12 PM »
 :D nevertheless that old saying " a job worth doing is worth doing well" springs to mind. 

It's one of those things that often have alot of toot and shonky manufacture passed off at unreasonable prices, good to see a decent approach to it,  also looks to me like it offers viable alternative to stock for those wishing to use modified spec.

Offline ianhood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 01:52:30 PM »
Some pictures of the air cleaner fitted to the bike - the front plate and the filter have to go on first, followed by the back plate and then the bolts get done up

Offline ianhood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 01:54:47 PM »
More

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 11:11:40 PM »
Looks very neat and tidy.

Does the air filter get oiled? Curious how well this would cope with wet weather. I have used pod filters before on a few bikes, and had some issues when I got caught in the rain.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline ianhood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 12:36:09 AM »
Yes, it’s a K&N filter. It may be affected by rain but my days of riding in the rain are long gone :)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2020, 08:34:35 AM »
Yes, it’s a K&N filter. It may be affected by rain but my days of riding in the rain are long gone :)

No good if you are out on a dry day and it starts raining  ;)

I see you have modified the frame for this to fit and you can not use original side panels with that filter fitted. 

Offline ianhood

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2020, 08:50:49 AM »
Yes, this won’t fit on a standard frame bike without removing the original air cleaner mount tabs. The reason I designed it was because I’m using the standard oil tank mounted in the middle of the frame (with custom flat side covers). With the oil tank in that location, the standard air filter will not fit.

Offline ianhood

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 12:03:37 PM »
Looks interesting,  nice design also the quality of your work.

I'll watch to see what experience you get when running it.

Pleased to say that, having got the thing installed and finished a few other things on the bike, it works incredibly well. It's cured a huge flat spot I had running pod filters. I suspect that is all to do with incorporating the original velocity stacks in the design.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal