Author Topic: CB750 F2 Head bearings? good ones needed!  (Read 390 times)

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
CB750 F2 Head bearings? good ones needed!
« on: August 17, 2020, 07:00:08 PM »
Can anyone recommend me a decent set of head bearings that actually fit and work properly?

Bought a set of head bearings which I fitted at the weekend. I say 'fitted' as they don;t reallyt. Made sure both the bearing cups were fully home in the frame, and the lower fork yoke was properly fitted with it;s bearing cup....and when I put it all in the frame, I get barely enough thread to hold the top castle nut on.

Not right!

I did use the thin shim and rubber dust seal on the lower yoke, but hte shim is 1mm thick...and the rubber dust cover fits over the bearing cup on the steering stem...so it doesn't cause the issue.

Seen this sort of problem from a few members on a few bike builds, but for me...There is no way to clearly shift anything to get the clearance I need to properly screw down the castle nut, and the thing is not even close. I need about 10mm more thread for it to be how t should, and I can't see hoiw that happens. The bearing cups look to be too deep?

So, basically....unless I screwed something up ( always possible.... ) the bearings I have do not fit. They also do not feel smooth..... which does not fill me with confidence that all is well!
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal