SOHC.co.uk Forums > Anorak's Corner

DoT 5.1 Brake fluid what specification do you use ?

(1/3) > >>

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
Although I'm unlikely to be building back the brakes this year I've been pondering in bed during the wee hours about what grade of brake fluid to put in my Honda CB400F2 - as a recent Insomniac (last 3 years or so) I try to utilise "trying to get to sleep time" to full advantage.

I use DoT 5.1 in all three of our four wheeled vehicles as I believe its the best option at a reasonable price.
I'm interested to hear views departing from OEM spec.

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
So no dissenters / views  on brake fluid specifications probably not an issue on motor cycles then or I have posted in the wrong section. :-\ :-\

Nurse Julie:
DOT 5 Silicone is what we use in all of ours now Ted.

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):

--- Quote from: Nurse Julie on August 30, 2020, 09:17:03 PM ---DOT 5 Silicone is what we use in all of ours now Ted.

--- End quote ---

Wow I didn't think anyone would be using Silicone based brake fluid in a motor cycle presumably that is for using in a system that has no remaining Glycol-based fluid such as Dot 4.0.  Are the existing seals suitable or do you have to upgrade for Silicone based fluid? 

I believe Dot 5.1 is a synthetic Glycol-based fluid with slightly higher boiling point than Dot 5.0 but is still hygroscopic whereas Silicone isn't of course.

Nurse Julie:

--- Quote from: Macabethiele on August 31, 2020, 12:52:39 PM ---
--- Quote from: Nurse Julie on August 30, 2020, 09:17:03 PM ---DOT 5 Silicone is what we use in all of ours now Ted.

--- End quote ---

Wow I didn't think anyone would be using Silicone based brake fluid in a motor cycle presumably that is for using in a system that has no remaining Glycol-based fluid such as Dot 4.0.  Are the existing seals suitable or do you have to upgrade for Silicone based fluid? 

I believe Dot 5.1 is a synthetic Glycol-based fluid with slightly higher boiling point than Dot 5.0 but is still hygroscopic whereas Silicone isn't of course.

--- End quote ---
All our bikes have had the complete braking systems overhauled with new seals etc fitted, so no mix or contamination from the old non compatible brake fluid.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version