Author Topic: Front wheel axle spacer  (Read 1234 times)

Offline SeanFD

• SOHC Member
  • "Still running against the wind"
    • View Profile
    • Belfast-2-Belfast-By-Bike
Front wheel axle spacer
« on: August 29, 2020, 10:42:01 AM »
The three prongs on either side of my axle spacer are mangled. I have attempted to straighten them, but they are really beyond redemption. Still I fitted them, trying to make sure, as far as possible, that the prongs sat on the pouter bearing race and the main part on the inner race.

Now when I tighten the axle nut to anything much more than hand tight, the bearings start to bind. When the nut is tight, the wheel barely spins. Everything else seems OK, so I’m assuming this has something to do with the spacer.

Question: Can I remove the prongs – they are loose anyway – and just use the centre part of the spacer, so it’s like the rear wheel spacer?
CB750 K2 - Ridden from Belfast(SA)-2-Belfast(NI)!
CB750 K1 - The less, said the better!
CB450 K1 - A work in progress.
CB400F Supersport - Rusty - not any more!

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Re: Front wheel axle spacer
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 12:37:40 PM »
As I see it, the prongs are simply locators to aid lining up of the spacer wrt each ball race - ie not totally necessary.

I’m guessing you’ve just changed out the bearings, and either (1) that the disc brake side bearing is not fully inserted ‘home’ against its stop ... or (2) the speedo drive side has not been inserted flush to the hub.
If this is true, then tightening the axle nut will be laterally forcing each inner cage against its outer cage... and causing a bind.

If both bearings are inserted correctly, the spacer takes the strain when the axle nut is tightened; and there will be no lateral stress between the inner and outer cages. I’ve just done mine, and turning one inner cage resulted in the other turning via the spacer. BUT, with minimal finger force... the opposite inner cage could indeed be stopped from turning.

Hope this makes sense,

Simon

PS - you really DON’T want these prongs to sit on the outer races .... the spacer does NOT rotate in service, whereas the outer cage does! In fact I don’t think the prongs should be in contact with any part of the bearing ... they’re simply there to centralise the spacer within the hub.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 12:59:16 PM by Lobo »

Offline SeanFD

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 01:03:56 PM »
Thanks Simon,

I’m just putting the front brake back on, so the wheel is off; I’ll check the bearings and speedo drive now.

Sean

Offline SeanFD

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 05:59:22 PM »
So I had a look at the bearings.

The outer prongs are not the problem and I turned them backwards towards the centre of the hub.

I took off the speedo drive and noted the bearing on that side was flush with the hub. Using the old bearing, I drove it in a bit further only to discover that there was no ridge to stop it falling into the hub.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

At this stage the bearing is 15mm below flush.

When I replaced the spacer, it was clear that the other bearing wouldn’t be able to reach it’s seat.

If I remember correctly, it sat flush when I removed it, so maybe I didn’t have the other bearing seated properly.

So my question is how far in should the speedo drive bearing go?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 09:17:22 PM »
One bearing goes in till it seats on a shoulder then the screwed retainer fitted till its tight on the bearing then the inner sleeve and lastly the other bearing drifted in till it touches the inner sleeve

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 10:37:06 PM »
Reckon Bryan’s explained it Sean... If the disc side bearing is fully home against its seat, then the speedo side bearing will only press in until it is basically flush with the hub. (accepting that it’s positional criteria is actually when it touches the spacer)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 10:40:23 PM by Lobo »

Offline SeanFD

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 12:24:10 AM »
 🤬 Did I put the speedo side in first and then the disk side? I actually dismantled it that way yesterday.

Surely not, but would be the first time I’ve done things arse about face :-[  The speedo side bearing was sitting flush with the hub ... 

Guess I’ll never know now. Time to go try again I guess.

Thanks for setting me straight.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal