Author Topic: OAP Ted's CB400F2 rebuild - engine not run for about 12 years.  (Read 45056 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Okay so here is my Honda CB400F2 purchased via e-bay from a local seller who unfortunately knew they fetch fair money so it was no bargain at £2000 as a thrown together to sell bike- looked good in the sale pictures. It came with a box of new parts with invoices spanning just over 10 years of accumulation. The box of new parts had a retail list price of just over £300 with some new or good used parts already fitted. As it was quite local I did go and look at it before I ended up buying it as it was the only one I had found that wasn't at the other end of the UK or out of my price range (Optimistically set at £1000-1500).

The seller declared that he bought it from a relative some 12 years ago with a rattling cam chain - he lost interest when he bought a Harley so by the time he got round to fixing the Honda ill health had prevented him from biking again so he decided to sell the unloved Honda.

It does crank over on the kickstart with reasonable compressions - certainly enough to get it running before the full rebuild ahead.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: OAP Ted's CB400F2 rebuild - engine not run for about 12 years.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 05:34:44 PM »
Full frontal showing front fork screamer!

• Grogu
    • View Profile
New coils in place with temporary plug leads
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 05:44:40 PM »
Carburetors back on waiting for fuel pipe to arrive before I progress much.
Having trouble uploading my pictures despite reducing them in size?Plug leads in place with new coils r by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr

« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 06:09:05 PM by Macabethiele »

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 06:15:45 PM »
Looking forward to your progress, the bike actually looks very clean and tidy in the pictures, good luck.

I struggled resizing pictures as well, I use PicResize now - https://picresize.com/# and reduce by 25% seems to work.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 06:45:55 PM »
The photos are flattering the wheels rims are pimply, spokes have some rust & the hubs have the usual aluminum surface corrosion.
The coils were completely shot with some old fuel in a very rusty looking petrol tank. At least it came with a new battery & I got the electric starter working once I had reinstated some wiring.

It's given me something to do in my retirement - so far it's been more of a learning dip than a curve I can't believe how out of touch I have become considering I had a very long background in the automotive industry. I used to fit heaters & do pre-delivery inspections on new Vauxhalls when I was only 14/15 years of age - were talking FB Victors & HA Vivas here. lol

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 07:08:30 PM »
My dad had an HA Viva (White).

Oh shit. Thread hijack already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 09:07:53 PM »
Just add i had a HA Van

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 11:27:20 PM »
When I sold my Austin 1100 in fetching dark green circa 1965/6 I took a Red hand painted HA Van with a single mattress in the back as part exchange!

I tried sleeping in the van when I went camping but it was too darn cold - in my defence I was single at the time.

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 11:37:29 PM »
My mate Dave had a HA van, I remember his immortal words after trying to race a Triumph Stag, this van is 'deceptively slow' Christ we laughed and I still chuckle every time I think about it ;D

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 01:35:04 PM »
The HA Van & Vivas were very quick 0-15 mph then it was game over  - no stopwatch needed for 0-60 times more like a calendar.

Back to the build my first hurdle when looking to start the engine was that the throttle was solid it would not open the main throttle as all the slider things were seized solid. The seller assured me he had cleaned out all the carburetors but that must have been a decade earlier.

When I stripped down the carburetors all four of the  main throttle valves were stuck solid in the closed position. Not wanting to damage anything I released the first one using the wife's nail varnish remover - this worked quite easily but the other three did not respond to the same solvent.

To release the remaining three I fully immersed them in fresh petrol in a Tupperware container fitting the lid and soaking for 48 hours. This worked fine on two but for the last one I replaced the fuel again leaving to soak fully submerged for another couple of days. After a bit of heat from an old Hair Dryer when the fuel had evaporated the last one came free. All rebuilt last week after a slow start when I tried to fit a jet into the place where the float valve clamp screw fits.lol The parts were all cleaned in my Brother-in-Laws Ultrasonic Bath - its done a fair job I have to say though he did say that there were other ways costing more money to return them to almost as factory  new. At present I have not explored this route as I am not looking for show standard just a good working bike. I fear this might change if I see too many mint 40 year old bikes.

I pushed the boat out and bought a Dynatek Electronic Ignition Set with Coils etc - I have fitted this just need to set the static timing when I am nearer trying to start her up. Coils were an easy fit using the old coil mounts with a bit of modification with a junior hack saw & drill driven cutting wheel. - they clear the fuel tank so so far so good.

Carbs now re-fitted at present using the existing throttle cables for the initial start up phase. I'm waiting for some fuel hose - I will use this time to clean the petrol tank a bit more. My heart sank when I first looked inside the tank but after putting in some Turps substitute (rather than water) and some 2-3 mm grade silver plant gravel its cleaned up enormously after some shaking sessions.
What colour by Macabe Thiele, on FlickrRusty tank as usual by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr

« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 06:28:42 PM by Macabethiele »

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 04:50:00 PM »
My dad had an HA Viva (White).

Oh shit. Thread hijack already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I passed my test in a HA Viva. Is that the one with sharp edges on the wings?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 06:32:33 PM »
Yes the HA had the Sardine Can Top to the wings it was the later HB that was rounded.
I took my test in my Dad's Company car an almost new Vauxhall FC 101 Victor Deluxe same type of wings as HA!

My bike doesn't look like a genuine Honda Blue colour for a CB 400 anyone know if its a Honda shade ?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 12:31:11 PM by Macabethiele »

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Petrol Tank fuel tap removed.
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 12:29:51 PM »
As the petrol tap seemed to be unable to pass the blow test I removed it to find the strainer had been damaged  & put back all twisted, the top of the tap was solid with crud and perished rubber.

I still have more rust to remove from inside but clearly if new bits can't be purchased for the tap will have to shell out for a replacement.
I'll put some of my silver gravel in again and do the shakey, shakey, shake routine until my arms ache.

Any advice as to best source for a replacement is it DS or DS for a petrol tap ?
Cheap one below knowing my luck it will not fit thought the CB400F2 is listed as suitable.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Honda-Petrol-Tap-Fuel-Petcock-CM185-CM200-XL100-CB400-XL125-XL175-XL185-XR/272559859130?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 04:07:01 PM by Macabethiele »

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2020, 09:01:17 PM »
Work has ground to a halt due to an overnight stay in local Hospital - I had Merlot posing as Urine then must have passed a kidney stone the pain was the worst I have ever had in my life - including a fractured femur when I was 18.
Had a scan of my kidneys yesterday waiting for the camera jobby to check my bladder out. Oh the indignity I have to face within 14 days as a day patient!

Anyways I'm tickety boo today but am stuck until some bits & the Electrolyte arrives for my tank cleaning task. Still awaiting a sellers  response on a cheap Petcock.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2020, 11:07:18 PM »
Erm, that doesn’t sound like a whole lotta fun. Glad to hear you’re on the mend.

Personally don’t like the look of the eBay petcock as it’s riveted together - tho’ in truth should not be a big deal I guess. As a general comment, the more you deviate from OEM parts the harder your bike becomes to maintain... as any adjoining part then needs a bit of modification to fit. (bladder bone connected to the kidneys bone as it were 😂)

(In this case the hose dia may be different to the carbs?)
Cheers,
Simon
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 11:12:45 PM by Lobo »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal