SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

OAP Ted's CB400F2 rebuild - engine not run for about 12 years.

(1/95) > >>

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
Okay so here is my Honda CB400F2 purchased via e-bay from a local seller who unfortunately knew they fetch fair money so it was no bargain at £2000 as a thrown together to sell bike- looked good in the sale pictures. It came with a box of new parts with invoices spanning just over 10 years of accumulation. The box of new parts had a retail list price of just over £300 with some new or good used parts already fitted. As it was quite local I did go and look at it before I ended up buying it as it was the only one I had found that wasn't at the other end of the UK or out of my price range (Optimistically set at £1000-1500).

The seller declared that he bought it from a relative some 12 years ago with a rattling cam chain - he lost interest when he bought a Harley so by the time he got round to fixing the Honda ill health had prevented him from biking again so he decided to sell the unloved Honda.

It does crank over on the kickstart with reasonable compressions - certainly enough to get it running before the full rebuild ahead.

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
Full frontal showing front fork screamer!

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
Carburetors back on waiting for fuel pipe to arrive before I progress much.
Having trouble uploading my pictures despite reducing them in size?Plug leads in place with new coils r by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr

heli_madken:
Looking forward to your progress, the bike actually looks very clean and tidy in the pictures, good luck.

I struggled resizing pictures as well, I use PicResize now - https://picresize.com/# and reduce by 25% seems to work.

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
The photos are flattering the wheels rims are pimply, spokes have some rust & the hubs have the usual aluminum surface corrosion.
The coils were completely shot with some old fuel in a very rusty looking petrol tank. At least it came with a new battery & I got the electric starter working once I had reinstated some wiring.

It's given me something to do in my retirement - so far it's been more of a learning dip than a curve I can't believe how out of touch I have become considering I had a very long background in the automotive industry. I used to fit heaters & do pre-delivery inspections on new Vauxhalls when I was only 14/15 years of age - were talking FB Victors & HA Vivas here. lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version