Author Topic: OAP Ted's CB400F2 rebuild - engine not run for about 12 years.  (Read 45069 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: OAP Ted's CB400F2 rebuild - engine not run for about 12 years.
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2020, 01:44:14 PM »
It's a strange thing but as I am approaching fitting the tank and getting close to an attempted start up I feel myself slowing down fearing unforeseen issues. I ought instead to be estatic at the prospect - is this normal !!

Oh boy, do I understand that feeling!

Thank goodness I thought I was alone with the unsaid dread!
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2020, 02:17:01 PM »
Thank goodness I thought I was alone with the unsaid dread!

I understand exactly where it comes from, for me.  Start with a bike I know wasn't running all that well before it sat for 3 years.  Add to that a bunch of repairs and adjustments - to a bike and to systems I'm not too familiar with, and therefore don't have a lot of confidence about.  I hope for the best, but assume things will go wrong...

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2020, 05:00:11 PM »
Another step closer today - re-fitted old Petcock with new tank strainer used the old seal but have the two that DS supplied - petrol tank back on the bike - 4 Litres of new Super Unleaded tap into Reserve position petrol filled the little in-line filter all looked okay for a minute or so then petrol started coming out of two of the overflow pipes. Big curse to myself !

Walked away wishing I had checked the carbs with fuel before I re-fitted them to the bike had a moan with a mate who said - have you tried a gentle tap on the carbs incase the floats are just a bit stuck as they were completely dry. Did just that followed by shaking the bike from side to side - fuel back into reserve no sign of any more fuel from overflow pipes. I've given it a good 5 minutes and no more fuel out of any of the overflows. I feel happy that's good enough for a planned initial start up.

I've checked for spark - nice visible spark at the old dirty spark plugs - I am now ready to check the static timing tomorrow morning then its new plugs in place and see if she will run. The new plugs that came with the bike are NGK D8EA as are the old ones that were fitted.

Fingers crossed for tomorrows start up attempt !! :)

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 05:08:46 PM by Macabethiele »

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2020, 05:29:03 PM »
Another step closer today - re-fitted old Petcock with new tank strainer used the old seal but have the two that DS supplied - petrol tank back on the bike - 4 Litres of new Super Unleaded tap into Reserve position petrol filled the little in-line filter all looked okay for a minute or so then petrol started coming out of two of the overflow pipes. Big curse to myself !

Walked away wishing I had checked the carbs with fuel before I re-fitted them to the bike had a moan with a mate who said - have you tried a gentle tap on the carbs incase the floats are just a bit stuck as they were completely dry. Did just that followed by shaking the bike from side to side - fuel back into reserve no sign of any more fuel from overflow pipes. I've given it a good 5 minutes and no more fuel out of any of the overflows. I feel happy that's good enough for a planned initial start up.

I've checked for spark - nice visible spark at the old dirty spark plugs - I am now ready to check the static timing tomorrow morning then its new plugs in place and see if she will run. The new plugs that came with the bike are NGK D8EA as are the old ones that were fitted.

Ooooh, how exciting, good luck 🤞🤞🤞
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2020, 09:41:59 PM »

Offline Grumpyfck

• Grumpy old fella
  • SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2020, 10:36:52 PM »

This is better than eastenders, good luck.
Longest midlife crisis known to man.

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2020, 11:18:21 PM »
Good luck, hope it goes well

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2020, 11:34:42 AM »
Set the static timing this morning took me about an hour to get it all done plus 30 mins spent making a decent loom connector & test lamp to set 1&4 then 2&3.

Cranked her over having got the oil light out first with no plugs fitted - plugs in after a fair bit of popping & banging she started to fire - more choke less throttle and away she went. Only a brief video but I am ecstatic !!

Hope the brief video works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XqxDCtCqKg&feature=youtu.be

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2020, 11:57:01 AM »
Fantastic Ted, brilliant, well done.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2020, 11:58:16 AM »
That's excellent!

The video works - it's sideways, but that's ok, the bike isn't moving anyway! ;D

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2020, 12:01:25 PM »
Good news,  it's nice when you get them going.

Unfortunately for me it starts that video trail on the tube with the suggestion side bar,  and off into all sort of interesting stuff  :D

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2020, 02:02:39 PM »

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2020, 02:08:55 PM »
It sounds even better the right way up.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2020, 03:45:44 PM »
Well done. It's a great feeling when they run. 👍
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Grumpyfck

• Grumpy old fella
  • SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2020, 05:38:55 PM »
Set the static timing this morning took me about an hour to get it all done plus 30 mins spent making a decent loom connector & test lamp to set 1&4 then 2&3.

Cranked her over having got the oil light out first with no plugs fitted - plugs in after a fair bit of popping & banging she started to fire - more choke less throttle and away she went. Only a brief video but I am ecstatic !!

Hope the brief video works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XqxDCtCqKg&feature=youtu.be

Now I am impatient for mine.
Longest midlife crisis known to man.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal