Author Topic: Throttle adjustment - I'm confused by the Honda manual...  (Read 408 times)

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Throttle adjustment - I'm confused by the Honda manual...
« on: August 29, 2020, 10:27:45 PM »
I could use some help with this..

I reinstalled my carbs, and installed "new" (they appear to be non-genuine NOS) throttle cables.  It took me awhile to sort out just which cable was which, which to install first, and how to tweak all the adjustments to make them work, but I think I've got it.  The problem I'm having is highlighted by Honda manual page I attached.

At the top of my attachment, "adjusting overtravel stopper," the clearance between the throttle lever and the link pin, which has an offset cam-style adjustment, is 2.0 -2.1mm.  I found mine rather greater than that, so I adjusted it before I installed the cables.  Note the wording, "Return the throttle grip to the closed position."  I figure no cables at all would effectively be the closed position.

But a couple of paragraphs later, at the bottom of the same attachment, there seems to be conflicting information.  Here, it says "with the throttle grip in the fully closed position," the throttle lever should actually contact the pin - no clearance at all - which is different than the previous instruction.

I can  physically turn the grip from its at-rest position to "close it even more," in which case the throttle lever does rotate a bit until it contacts the pin... but when I release it, it returns to its rest position with that 2mm gap.  What's the correct adjustment?

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 10:30:31 PM by mattsz »

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Re: Throttle adjustment - I'm confused by the Honda manual...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 10:52:07 PM »
... it sounds to me that you’ve got it correctly set up, tho’ have missed the crucial ‘fully’ closed wording.... as opposed to the other ‘closed’ wording.

Adjusting Over Travel Stopper (Closed) means the clearance gap is measured ‘hands off’.

Adjusting Throttle Cable - you are now physically twisting the throttle FULLY closed and checking the lever contacts the pin.

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Throttle adjustment - I'm confused by the Honda manual...
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 11:08:24 PM »
So I managed it in spite of myself... that sounds about right...  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal