Author Topic: Engine full of fuel and seized up  (Read 17630 times)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Engine full of fuel and seized up
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2020, 06:26:20 PM »
If you're comfortable with checking the clutch,  then it's not much different to pull (actually easier) the alternator cover off and try to assess crankshaft movement just by turning the rotor with you hands and a rag wrapped round it.

Some oil will drain out but not much,  just residual. 

Also in the interests of investigative examinations,  could be worth removing the float bowls and trying to gently blow,  mouth? Not compressor,  down the overflow tube to see if any are blocked which would cause the fuel to exit via jets into carb throat. It may illuminate which cylinder the fuel was routed through.

Which area of Hampshire are you located?

Offline rosco

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2020, 06:52:50 PM »
Have you tried to turn it over in each gear to eliminate the box  If all ok  and engine won't turn on either kick start or button  likely to be engine locked up  Agree with Roy best to take engine out to investigate  First check cam chain ok

Offline PJM47

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2020, 07:31:32 PM »
Ok ta, will whip the alternator cover off and have a look tomorrow. All gears seem ok. Haven’t investigated the carb problem yet as this will be minor compared to the damage it’s caused. probably one iof the overflow pipes blocked which in combination with a leaking float needle and leaving the fuel on ended in disaster. I’m in PO8 area of Hampshire. No hurry to get this fixed, probably an over winter job and I don’t mind paying a reasonable amount or supplying as much tea/beer/bacon as needed. It is (or was) a nice bike.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2020, 07:35:19 PM »
Have you tried to turn it over in each gear to eliminate the box  If all ok  and engine won't turn on either kick start or button  likely to be engine locked up  Agree with Roy best to take engine out to investigate  First check cam chain ok

The kickstart engages a gear directly on the clutch basket,  which in turn is directly connected via spline drive to the primary chain coming from the crankshaft.  By removing the clutch plates the gear ratios have no connection at all with the engine / crankshaft assembly.

The OP should be able to turn the centre shaft of the clutch (rotaing the gearbox) and demonstrating it's free,  but not the clutch outer basket as it's still directly connect to crankshaft.

Offline PJM47

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2020, 12:40:10 PM »
Yeah inner of clutch is free outer is stuck. No movement at all at the alternator it’s locked completely solid.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2020, 04:58:59 PM »
Realistically the last place of acces without removal from frame is to take the sump off and check the chains (primary and cam) to asses if anything obvious is amiss there. Would help if you have one of those usb camera scope to use on phone or tablet to look up into the crank cavity,  can't think of anything else useful to look at without stripping. 

Oh! with a scope you can also look at the cam chain at the top through #3 inlet tappet cover to make sure it's not snapped.  That's a pretty remote half chance and highly unusual but very remote possibility and worth a look-see.

Offline PJM47

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2020, 05:20:52 PM »
So I've had a bit more time to look at this now. I can actually turn the engine over at the alternator, probably wasn't trying enough before. So that is good. When in gear though I can't turn the engine with the rear wheel and the kickstart is still locked solid. With the clutch removed the inner turns ok. The outer clutch basket I can't move by hand but it turns when I turn the engine over with the alternator bolt. I can select gears ok and i can select neutral. I guess this is a gear box issue? Maybe as a result of trying to use the kickstart when the starter wouldn't turn the engine when it was full of fuel, does this sound logical? Any ideas what might have broke?

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2020, 05:30:03 PM »
It sounds like a kick start issue. Put the bike in 5th gear and try and move back wheel.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2020, 05:32:17 PM »
Take the clutch basket out and see if the kick start will move  ;)

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2020, 05:46:48 PM »
I'm with trigger. you need to ascertain if the engine will turn over. Normally with it in neutral the engine will turn over easily with a spanner on the crankshaft end.

If not  remove the clutch or just the plates. if it still won't turn over it's engine. if it does it's clutch or gear box.

I've not read the whole post. have you drained the sump since? I've had this issue on a GS450. it locks the top and bottom and the clutch plates can bind.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2020, 05:59:53 PM »
I'm with trigger. you need to ascertain if the engine will turn over. Normally with it in neutral the engine will turn over easily with a spanner on the crankshaft end.

If not  remove the clutch or just the plates. if it still won't turn over it's engine. if it does it's clutch or gear box.

I've not read the whole post. have you drained the sump since? I've had this issue on a GS450. it locks the top and bottom and the clutch plates can bind.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
That's all been covered earlier in the thread.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline PJM47

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2020, 06:30:14 PM »
So clutch basket is now out and the kickstart now turns freely. The rear wheel also turns freely now when in gear. The engine still turns over on the alternator nut. Not sure wher that leaves us?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2020, 06:47:53 PM »
Are you turning the alternator anti clockwise as you look at it ?

Check the teeth on the clutch basket and check the teeth on the kick start wheel. Also make sure the kick start cog/ wheel is running true as in not bent.

If everything looks good then put the basket back in and try to kick it in neutral.

Offline PJM47

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2020, 07:01:25 PM »
Yes anti clockwise, it actually turns both ways. will check things you suggest and and try the basket back on tomorrow.

Offline PJM47

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2020, 07:56:04 AM »
Clutch basket back in and ithe kick start won’t move again. Teeth on kickstart and clutch basket all good.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal