Author Topic: Engine full of fuel and seized up  (Read 17791 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Engine full of fuel and seized up
« Reply #180 on: October 19, 2020, 03:34:12 PM »
Having followed this post with interest I am none the wiser yet as to what the cause was - have I missed something?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline PJM47

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 19, 2020, 04:23:01 PM »
Having followed this post with interest I am none the wiser yet as to what the cause was - have I missed something?

No I'm not sure I am either. Like I say at the start of this page once the starter gear was removed everything freed up. Putting it back on and everything is still free, the crank spins nicely, even keeps turning on its own with a push, I could barely move it before. Putting the rods back on as Trigger suggested and it still all turns nicely.

As I say my only concern was I'm not sure if that gear is mean to be able to move latterly on the shaft a bit which it does now. I have nothing to compare it to and nothing looks wrong.

I'd have been much happier finding something broken but not sure what else can be done.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 19, 2020, 04:30:29 PM »
Put the alternator rotor on temporarily(i.e. bolt not tight) then see if it wobbles when crank is spun, i have seen the taper end bent

Offline PJM47

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 19, 2020, 05:17:37 PM »
Put the alternator rotor on temporarily(i.e. bolt not tight) then see if it wobbles when crank is spun, i have seen the taper end bent

No wobble. Checked with fixed point on the case, not that accurate, but nothing obvious.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 19, 2020, 05:24:33 PM »
Like I mentioned at the start it was probably that the petrol washed every bit of lubrication out of the engine and made it impossible to turn. Now it's re-olied everything is fine. But ensure on reassembly that every single part is cleaned and oiled and carefully checked.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline PJM47

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 19, 2020, 05:30:45 PM »
Note it was definitely the starter gear that was the problem, then crank was in and out several times and fully oiled and nothing else connected, it was just resting on the bottom shells but it still would not turn freely. On one of the occasions of taking the crank out the starter gear came loose a bit and then everything was instantly fine after that. Still seems very odd to me.

Offline PJM47

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 19, 2020, 05:35:22 PM »
so most bits on order now (ouch).

Without wanting to start too much of a debate what's the best / recommended sealant for the bottom end? I've seen other posts but not really a conclusion.
Honda Bond, 3 Bond , Yam Bond etc for crank case halves only. The lightest, lightest smear, so light, you can almost see through it.

Thanks, blimey Honda bond 4 is reassuringly expensive isn't it. Don't want it leaking though.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 19, 2020, 05:55:41 PM »
Only thing i can think of is the bush in the big gear is worn and allowed the gear to cock sideways, could be worth checking play to crank.
Sold a nos one to the states last year!

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 19, 2020, 05:58:07 PM »
Trying to turn a locked engine on the starter has probably knocked it out of line.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline PJM47

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 19, 2020, 08:33:42 PM »
I sssume that bush is not replaceable?
I wonder if the bush has pushed in/back slightly under the stress allowing the gear to move further up the shaft than normal and hitting the case and also getting stuck? On the plus side at least the gear can be replaced after the engine is back together.
First pic is mine, secon pic is a used one on eBay.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 19, 2020, 08:43:30 PM »
Hi

Looks like a glacier bush to me

I have changed these on my RD350LC kick starter idler and the clutch centre bush so could be well worth while if it’s shot pressing it out and getting a size and asking a local bearing supplier if they could supply a new one

As then the bush and gear would be as good as new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline PJM47

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 19, 2020, 10:15:11 PM »
Hi

Looks like a glacier bush to me

I have changed these on my RD350LC kick starter idler and the clutch centre bush so could be well worth while if it’s shot pressing it out and getting a size and asking a local bearing supplier if they could supply a new one

As then the bush and gear would be as good as new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting thanks. I will look into it.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 20, 2020, 12:23:26 AM »
That bush looks ok. But, always worth measuring it up

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 20, 2020, 08:18:08 AM »
Note it was definitely the starter gear that was the problem, then crank was in and out several times and fully oiled and nothing else connected, it was just resting on the bottom shells but it still would not turn freely. On one of the occasions of taking the crank out the starter gear came loose a bit and then everything was instantly fine after that. Still seems very odd to me.
Looks like you found the smoking gun then. The wheel should not have been stuck to the crank it should be free to rotate. Amazing what lack of oil does to an engine. It is free to slightly move on the boss and is fed by pressurised oil to the bush and to behind the wheel through a feed hole. Make sure everything is straight before reassembly as those starters on a good battery put out a lot of torque.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline PJM47

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 20, 2020, 07:18:42 PM »
Yes hopefully that’s it. Evetthing else seems nice and straight and in good condition. Just waiting for all the bits to arrive. New cam and primary chains and tensioners. New seals everywhere new piston rings. And I’ll do the valve guide seals and lap. Should be a nice little overhaul for it anyway.

Do we think I need to give the cylinders a light hone to put cross hatching back to settle in the new rings or is best to leave as is?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal