Author Topic: Broke spoke...  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Broke spoke...
« on: August 30, 2020, 12:09:29 PM »
An interesting one. Was changing the rear bearings today (K2) and took the opportunity of deep cleaning the various bits including the hub. Blow me, a spoke was broken - VERY hard to spot; I’m honestly wondering how long it’s been like this. I went to get a spare... came back to the wheel... and spent another 2 mins searching again for it!

Q - is this a common occurrence, and (2) Bryan / Trig - is this an MOT check item and  would you likely spot it in a test?

I’m gonna have to start a personal wheel tappers club for the 5 bikes 🙁.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 12:11:45 PM by Lobo »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Broke spoke...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 01:26:06 PM »
Not common
Yes a test failure and i would hope to spot it

There are two different spokes, one is easy to fit(head on inside of flange) the other is a swine to fit

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 01:57:09 PM »
As Bryan said, defiantly a MOT fail. I am seeing more and more spoke broken these days, due to corrosion and a 50 year old part.
You will have to take the tyre off, strip the wheel down and seeing you are at that stage you, may as well fit a set of stainless steel ones. Stainless is not so brittle and give a little flex.

The worst spoke to have is chromed, they seen to break for fun.   

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 10:43:20 PM »
Got lucky Trig, it was the short one with inside flange... as Bryan describes. I let a bit of air out the tyre to allow the head back up into the rim a bit, and bingo... was able to thread the new spoke.

Sadly, these spokes are SS, and only about 8yo - which is why I had a spare having rebuilt the wheels myself (& no comments there...!)

On an MOT gents, do you have an infallible trick for finding broken spokes - my guess is ya simply run a screwdriver across them?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 11:25:44 PM »
Turn the wheel with a hand on each side sqeezing pairs of spokes together worked for me all the time i was doing tests

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal