Author Topic: Fitting DSS coils  (Read 940 times)

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Fitting DSS coils
« on: September 04, 2020, 02:35:22 PM »
Has anyone here fitted DSS after market coils to their CB400F? It came with an adapter kit but not for the life of me can I figure out how it is supposed to go, so I'm using one of the original masts to house one fitting and the other to tie the other to it, so although secure and working it looks odd and at a sloped angle so for how long?
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting DSS coils
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 04:26:37 PM »
I managed to fit my Dynatek Coils using both old mounts but with some cutting as can be seen in the photo is the DS replacement coil longer ?

CB 400F2 coil mounts by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 04:36:25 PM »
DSS must have changed the coils they supply or you don't have the correct mounting posts. I bought new coils from DSS and they fitted straight on without any mods.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 04:57:42 PM »
DSS must have changed the coils they supply or you don't have the correct mounting posts. I bought new coils from DSS and they fitted straight on without any mods.
I've definitely got the right mounts. The DSS coils are  a little bit longer and come with a fitting kit.
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 08:53:49 PM »
I've definitely got the right mounts. The DSS coils are  a little bit longer and come with a fitting kit.

Presumably you have tried swapping the mounting posts from left side  to right side  at one end or even both ends to make up the length difference? You could then lop off the bit in the way if you get my drift. Alternatively you can rotate the posts and insert a simple 90 Deg bracket like on a kitchen unit type fitting.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 09:05:24 PM by Macabethiele »

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 09:26:30 PM »

Presumably you have tried swapping the mounting posts from left side  to right side  at one end or even both ends to make up the length difference? You could then lop off the bit in the way if you get my drift. Alternatively you can rotate the posts and insert a simple 90 Deg bracket like on a kitchen unit type fitting.
I'll investigate tomorrow to see if a bit of hacksaw butchery will help! ;)
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 09:47:33 AM »

I'll investigate tomorrow to see if a bit of hacksaw butchery will help! ;)

I used a junior hacksaw and some cutting wheels in my drill - be careful it feels like a cast alluminium bracket so it will break.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal