Author Topic: Ignition Advance Bolt Torque  (Read 558 times)

Offline The_TG

• View Profile
Ignition Advance Bolt Torque
« on: September 09, 2020, 10:25:06 PM »
Hi everyone. First of all, sorry that the last time I posted was 2014! Safe to say a lot has happened since then!

Still, I've got the 400/4 and have found a renewed desire to get it all up and running again. The frame, suspension and brakes are all done having had a lot of TLC!

The engine is also nearly complete (after a complete strip down too) which leads me to ask a question! I'm installing the ignition at the moment and am a bit confused by the Haynes manual. Does anybody know if there is a specific torque for the long retaining bolt in the centre of the assembly (bolts into the threaded hole in the end of the crank)? I thought it was referred to as Cam Retaining Bolt in the Haynes manual so tightened it and it sheared!

Now, I'm not sure it needs to be that tight, just nipped up firmly but having spent the best part of a night worrying about getting the sheared stud out, then spending about an hour and using several extraction methods to get it back out (successfully in the end!) I don't want to make the same mistake!

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

I hope everyone is keeping safe.

Thanks all.

Regards, Tom
Tom of Sheffield

1976 Honda 400f - in need of TLC - and slowly but surely receiving it!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Ignition Advance Bolt Torque
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 11:22:45 PM »
No specific torque i know of, just tight, the cam retaining bolt is the sprocket to cam and they are ht bolts

Offline The_TG

• View Profile
Re: Ignition Advance Bolt Torque
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 08:36:36 AM »
Thanks so much Bryan! That makes a lot more sense!
Tom of Sheffield

1976 Honda 400f - in need of TLC - and slowly but surely receiving it!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal