Author Topic: 'orrible 'eadlamp!!!  (Read 2797 times)

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: 'orrible 'eadlamp!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 04:01:28 PM »
There's only one way to find out!  ;D

On a more serious note,  I've got the price at about 34 quid which if you consider that an ok risk to find out it could be worth a look. 

Be worth doing a before and after picture of the beam pattern pointed at a white wall so we can all see how it works.

The attatched description on selling site is mostly pure bolleuxe (excuse my French  ;D) so you have to make what you will of the product.
  Having just replaced the instrument bulbs with nice green LED's and the rear stop/tail with the red product, the switch on provided a silly satisfying grin across my cherubic looks. These were supplied with very good and fast service from Classiccarleds.  This got me digging even deeper into fleabay, and found an Oriental seller offering 35Watt Led bulbs with the correct fitting for the standard equipment. God knows what the beam pattern is going to look like, but at £8 I thought it would be worth a punt before going down the whole headlamp change route.  If the beam pattern is good (or funny!) enough I will try to post some pics.

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2020, 03:26:16 PM »
Well, the day arrived when the LED headlamp bulb was fitted. The old tungsten bulb I removed was actually a 45Watt piece, and I have replaced it with a 35watt LED one. If I can remember how to load pics, the first two are of old bulb, and the last two are with LED. I'm happy with result, especially as I have kept the original shell and glass.

Offline bobv7

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2020, 04:26:04 PM »
Yeh, but what's it like on a road?

Offline robvangulik

• SOHC Member
  • Honda Fourever
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2020, 04:42:58 PM »
Low beam seems just as high as the high beam...

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2020, 05:33:02 PM »
Definite lump on top on high beam

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2020, 07:10:25 PM »
Not in a position to comment on what it's like on the road yet, plus headlamp fittings are only finger tight at the moment. Will see about correct alignment soon, but my main concern was being able to get something which is a whole lot brighter than the original without too many alterations. I very rarely go out at night, but like many people use the headlamp for daytime riding, so will have to see if it's longer lasting than a filament bulb. It's most definitely a whiter light, and has been achieved without crucifying the electrical system and having to fit relays everywhere. Next time I'm out in the dark will try and remember to take a couple of pics for 'real life' scenario.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2020, 12:45:31 PM »
ride more slowly at night, it doesn't matter how good your lights are if deer are going to jump out of the hedge or a badger comes dashing accross the road  :D
On an unlit, unknown country lane, with 35 watts and the occasional LED equipped vehicle coming in the other direction, how bleedin' fast do you imagine I was going? Let's keep the responses sensible eh?

You made an important point in that post.  A yellow light scource (tungsten compared to led at higher K number) is opposed by the blue content of led being used up around 6, 7000 k and one effectively cancels the other.

A new vehicle equipped with current led coming towards you obviously doesn't illuminate the direction you want to see but your halogen at about 3400k is more or less obliterated, making the situation worse.

I've an older car with 7inch H4 lights and used 5400k Phillips bulbs in them for this reason,  about the closest to led I can buy and legally use. The performance is much better when opposed to oncoming led,  not perfect but very significant improvement.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2020, 05:54:26 PM »
I tried some LED stop and tail bulbs and there was no difference in brightness from the tail to the stop. Changed it back to the old bulb which was a lot brighter on the stop  ;)

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2020, 11:22:35 PM »
I tried some LED stop and tail bulbs and there was no difference in brightness from the tail to the stop. Changed it back to the old bulb which was a lot brighter on the stop  ;)
  When it finally stops pouring outside I will shut myself in the garage again and do a test on the stop/tail.

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2020, 11:47:41 PM »

I did exactly the same  they were crap. Don't  know how they can sell them as stop / tail.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 12:01:05 AM by Moorey »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2020, 06:14:44 PM »

I did exactly the same  they were crap. Don't  know how they can sell them as stop / tail.

Happy to hear that as, i was not sure if it was just my old eyes  ;)

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2020, 09:54:17 PM »

Happy to hear that as, i was not sure if it was just my old eyes  ;)
 Maybe not the fairest test, being in a darkened garage, but???

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal