Author Topic: Tyre technicals...  (Read 1269 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Tyre technicals...
« on: September 15, 2020, 12:01:51 PM »
Today had Michelin Road 5s fitted to my Guzzi. They are correctly orientated.

Intrigued, cause logic suggests to my wee brain that on a soaked road, the tread will gather water, and with further rotation trample / channel / squeeze it towards the centre of the thread... lifting / aquaplaning the tyre.

What am I missing here?

Ta.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 12:06:46 PM by Lobo »

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre technicals...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 12:09:14 PM »
Push the water away from the tyre centre I would have thought, but I do see where your coming from with the tread pattern and rotation.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 12:42:50 PM »
I think its 'cos you're in Australia Simon. Gravitational pull of the moon, magnetic fields and all that, pulls the water out, not pushes it in 😊😊😊😊
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 01:17:51 PM »
Ooh I like a good tire discussion.

"I think its 'cos you're in Australia Simon. Gravitational pull of the moon, magnetic fields and all that, pulls the water out, not pushes it in 😊😊😊😊"  ;D

It looks at first description as you see it Simon doesn't it.  I do that "if you roll it round, then which way up is it meeting the tarmac" thing too.

But believe it's because the front wheel has absolutely no traction requirements as it's just rolling along and the curved profile prevents any serious water buildup.

Now put the brakes on and the tire goes straight to traction, but that force is backwards,  so the tread orientation is correct as the tire comes under this load,  flattened a little and water having a wider gap to travel toward under maximum demand of grip.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 04:30:28 PM »
It’s all in the sipes.

You’ll have to look it up as I couldn’t possibly explain it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 03:57:34 AM »
...so far I think Julie’s winning on the explanation given the Ozzies have a penchant for doing things, um, differently.

Nige, I want to get where you’re coming from, but (1) the tyre must at all times have some sort of friction (otherwise it’d be akin to riding on black ice)  so even when rolling along water appears to be pumped to just where ya don’t need it.

And (2), under heavy braking I’m struggling to see how the dynamics change in this respect ... the outside tread is ‘charged’ with water, and as the tyre rotated forward is even more compressed (due flattening) and pumped to, er, just where ya don’t need it. Yes the force is one of retardation, but the tyre is still rotating forwards....

I totally accept I am wrong in the logic... but still fail to ‘get it’

Ken, the rear is fitted with tread the other way ‘round... phew (I think.)

Daftly, I can’t find any ‘Direction of Rotation’ markings on the sidewalls. Maybe I’ve simply missed ‘em, but it does seem a tad dangerous given the front wheel can be put back either way ‘round.

Steve... that’s a total bloody cop out! (and god help me I tried to get these photos orientated up (ie held the phone vertical).... aargh.)

(PS - Ken... have been looking at TPMS... do yours replace the valve (and if so are you happy with that)... or are they bluetoothing up to a handlebar display?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 04:06:52 AM by Lobo »

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 07:34:55 AM »
We had the Michelin guys present tyre design at our bike club.

“Forget the rotation”

A tyre is subject to a force from the road surface which squashes the tread.

If you look at your picture and imaging pressing a credit card sized contact patch into the tyre, you will see that the water is actually channelled away.

The sipes help too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 07:45:19 AM »
Think I'm using the wrong terminology  ::) it's spindle torque acting on each tire that causes the most demanding conditions of longitudinal traction,  which is opposite for rear wheel power torque and front brake applied torque.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Similar as in above photo of wet race tire as they are fitted with opposed pattern orientation.  Although it looks differnt, if the rear is accepted in it's "correct" direction, then the highest rotatational torque on the front wheel is applied in the opposite direction.  It looks confusing as the bike is moving along but the tire is trying to resist just being pushed along the road under braking and under high demand gets into a percentage of slip at it's peak braking. 

Offline cliff7

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 11:36:36 AM »
Does this mean my back tyre is more likely to skid in the wet when braking than the front? At the moment my back brake seems better than the front and I am sure I can brake quicker than I can accelerate.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 12:28:24 PM »
...I’m gonna have to hang my head in shame and walk away from this one; I’m not sure how you can ‘forget the rotation’; if your garage told you this / “...the wheels only needed static balancing”, you’d raise your eyebrows. (no offence Steve!)

Nige... trying to make your explanation ‘fit’.... but alas I’m in a bloody mindset here.

Regardless... thanks gents,
Simon.....  and quietly awaiting a Michelin Red Bulletin 😂😂😂)

(Interesting Ken, have been looking at such things - what brand is your system?)

Offline bobv7

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 07:37:10 PM »
Nothing gets a motorcyclist more excited than a bit of black rubber! :-X

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 10:29:12 PM »
...too true Bob.

Bloody hell Ken, you did well on the deal... I paid (equiv) £280 for the tyres... and I see your TPMS @ £85 on eBay. Result...

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 11:25:49 PM »
Last question Ken... promise!

Will the tyres need re-balancing if I now go ahead and buy this Michelin TPMS? If so will give it a miss, as tbh getting the wheels off & down to the ‘shop is a significant feat: 240Kg bike, all 3 callipers off, silencer off.. aargh. (and given it still seems to be practicing Oz YOPS I insist on taking them off myself)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2020, 06:11:35 AM »
Thanks Ken,
Ordered....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal