SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

Project rattle can

<< < (2/5) > >>

Lobo:
Beautiful job Steve; rattle cans have come a long way. I’ve done 2 tanks now; a full air compressor / paint gun job on a SS50 tank, and a rattle can on a 400F tank. Both surprisingly good results... but one SO much easier.

ewanhughes:
Fantastic job Steve. How many coats of the orange did you need?

ps. It's not everyday you see a flamingo in your back garden!  ;D

AshimotoK0:
Yea great stuff Steve,

I am in the process of painting some tanks and parts for my tiddlers but mainly in metallic and straight colours. I am using RS bikepaints spraycans ..which are great apart from the water based dark  grey metallic for my JDM CB250. I they must have sent me a duff can as the first sprayed great but the second keeps spluttering..despite taking their advice and fitting new nozzles (different nozzle for water based) and warming up the can and ultra long rattle shake .... it still does it so going to email them today. going to use Spraymax2k  German manufacturer) clear for the tanks but not tried it yet, ..£25+ for one can £94 for 6 cans so I got six.

SteveW:
One thing I found and I don’t have any idea why it did it.

I had the tank on my homemade stand sitting as it would if it was on the bike. When spraying the top of the tank in the orange you could see light and dark lines across the tank. So I ended up with a tiger pattern across it.
The same thing happened with the side panels.

Only way to get around it was to rub it back down to remove the stripes and hang the tank vertical, spraying the tank vertically and keeping the can vertical is the key.

Spraying the tank sides in black on the stand was ok as I could keep the can vertical.

Oh, and only ever spray the final coat with a fairly full can, as it empties the pressure drops and it may splutter.

AshimotoK0:
Good to compare notes Steve... my 'spluttering' can was a new one but I know what you mean about final coat with a fairly full can.  think some aerosols are designed to be ony used in vertical position and some can be used angled.

Which cear coat do you use for your tank?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version