Author Topic: Who is good at model dating?...oooeer.  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Grumpyfck

• Grumpy old fella
  • SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Who is good at model dating?...oooeer.
« on: September 22, 2020, 11:13:12 PM »
I figured this was the right section for narrow this down. My background in vintage cameras often finds me trying to square of details, just for the curiosity angle.  My bike,  frame and engine numbers are stated on the log book as registered in 1982. Originally sold to me as a Honda britain cb750 ss limited edition. I know it is not! Far to many inconsistencies all around. I  assumed though it had been based on a sohc f2 though all thr same.  1982 however seems very late for that even. What do the more knowledgeable heads say? Could it be just old showroom stock?
Longest midlife crisis known to man.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Who is good at model dating?...oooeer.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 02:51:17 PM »
Yes its just old stock sold late. If you pay Honda about £35 they will give you a build date which will be earlier

Offline Grumpyfck

• Grumpy old fella
  • SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 03:04:39 PM »
Thanks, I  kind of guessed so. There are a few oddities around the bike that just niggled. 35 quid will be better spent on robbery bits etc.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 03:20:47 PM »
On a similar note when I was in the car trade during the 3 day week due to power workers strikes - circa 1973/4 we sold new Opel Mantas Mk1's new in 1975/6 that were in fact 3 years old due to importers & dealer storage!!

They were discounted bargain buys as the Opels did not deteriorate much during storage unlike the Audi 100's that arrived from Audi UK with holes in the roof from Seagull droppings that burnt through the factory body waxing!!

We were paid by Aidi to fix them back to standard factory finish - we did a basic job on the pin holes and put a "Free" vinyl roof on them using a free Vinyl roof as a promotional tool.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 03:23:22 PM »
I know someone which bought standard new F2 in August 1980 from official Honda dealer,  they were slow to move stock as competitors came on stream with 4 strokes of this capacity.
Seems like this overstock to UK supply chain was ultimately used in making the special additions.

Vintage cameras,  interesting.  Covering which era? I like a good optic.

Offline Grumpyfck

• Grumpy old fella
  • SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 03:51:47 PM »
On a similar note when I was in the car trade during the 3 day week due to power workers strikes - circa 1973/4 we sold new Opel Mantas Mk1's new in 1975/6 that were in fact 3 years old due to importers & dealer storage!!

They were discounted bargain buys as the Opels did not deteriorate much during storage unlike the Audi 100's that arrived from Audi UK with holes in the roof from Seagull droppings that burnt through the factory body waxing!!

We were paid by Aidi to fix them back to standard factory finish - we did a basic job on the pin holes and put a "Free" vinyl roof on them using a free Vinyl roof as a promotional tool.

I find stuff like that interesting.

Offline Grumpyfck

• Grumpy old fella
  • SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 03:59:22 PM »
I know someone which bought standard new F2 in August 1980 from official Honda dealer,  they were slow to move stock as competitors came on stream with 4 strokes of this capacity.
Seems like this overstock to UK supply chain was ultimately used in making the special additions.

Perhaps the britain kit was attached then as an off the shelf kit. I suppose I will never know.

Cameras- anything and everything from 1890s to 1980s. Mostly mine are 20s through to  50s. Usually involving a bellows. I  have 2 lines of part time work, private members bar steward (still closed). Then old cameras...what ever is needed, testing, servicing, buying and selling. Hobby turning a buck kind of thing.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 04:37:56 PM »
Anybody remember Chevette E models, bad rust at 1st mot due to every multi story round liverpool being full of primered shells when factory on strike.
Basic model sold as "special" at cheap price

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Who is good at model dating?...oooeer.
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 05:42:17 PM »
You could ask Colin Seeley. He built them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Grumpyfck

• Grumpy old fella
  • SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 06:02:20 PM »
He made the kits, they were built at the dealership I gather. I  am 99.9% sure the body kit I have is not one of the original 250. As the folks above say, likely old stock that may have had a face lift.  I am pretty sure rear shocks are of a 900f. Carburetors are 69-76  flavour but that's likely because of the yoshimura 812 kit. It has been messed about for sure.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2020, 12:10:34 AM »
Anybody remember Chevette E models, bad rust at 1st mot due to every multi story round liverpool being full of primered shells when factory on strike.
Basic model sold as "special" at cheap price

The Opel Kadette model C circa 1974 (based on the same floor plan as the Vauxhall Chevette) also launched a basic model with a small puny pushrod 1 litre engine to attract buyers who were worried about potential fuel rationing.  This variant was also to use up stocks of  bodyshells that had built up in Germany & Belgium due to the virtual collapse of the UK car market during the fuel crisis.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2020, 08:24:24 AM »

Obituary in January this year,  a very fine engineer he was too.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 08:30:00 AM »

Perhaps the britain kit was attached then as an off the shelf kit. I suppose I will never know.

Cameras- anything and everything from 1890s to 1980s. Mostly mine are 20s through to  50s. Usually involving a bellows. I  have 2 lines of part time work, private members bar steward (still closed). Then old cameras...what ever is needed, testing, servicing, buying and selling. Hobby turning a buck kind of thing.

My camera interest more or less follows that period of 60's onwards,  and mostly Japanese in parallel with these old bikes. All interesting subjects though, and keep us out of trouble  ;D well mostly :)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 08:44:33 AM »
Trouble---me never happen honest injun

Offline Grumpyfck

• Grumpy old fella
  • SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 07:15:44 PM »

Obituary in January this year,  a very fine engineer he was too.

Indeed,

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal