Author Topic: Who is good at model dating?...oooeer.  (Read 2341 times)

Offline Grumpyfck

• Grumpy old fella
  • SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Who is good at model dating?...oooeer.
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2020, 07:25:42 PM »
I know someone which bought standard new F2 in August 1980 from official Honda dealer,  they were slow to move stock as competitors came on stream with 4 strokes of this capacity.
Seems like this overstock to UK supply chain was ultimately used in making the special additions.

Vintage cameras,  interesting.  Covering which era? I like a good optic.

Perhaps the britain kit was attached then as an off the shelf kit. I suppose I will never know.

Cameras- anything and everything from 1890s to 1980s. Mostly mine are 20s through to  50s. Usually involving a bellows. I  have 2 lines of part time work, private members bar steward (still closed). Then old cameras...what ever is needed, testing, servicing, buying and selling. Hobby turning a buck kind of thing.

My camera interest more or less follows that period of 60's onwards,  and mostly Japanese in parallel with these old bikes. All interesting subjects though, and keep us out of trouble  ;D well mostly :)
Mid 80s I rode to Oulton Park and donington carrying an Me Super to photograph the racing. Trying to record the build with same old camera, kind of feel right.
Longest midlife crisis known to man.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2020, 10:56:07 AM »
Very neat camera design,  friend still has an MX from then too.  To me there was all sort of really good industrial design from Japan that era which was in advance of most other countries.

Are you going to develop and scan colour neg to record the project?

Offline Grumpyfck

• Grumpy old fella
  • SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2020, 05:46:44 PM »
I develop and wet print BW. Scan too, colour used to but don't shoot enough. I seem to be going through a stage (long one!) of nostalgia, but this time taking the time to actually try to know what I am doing. Hence the the bike build.

Offline Grumpyfck

• Grumpy old fella
  • SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2020, 09:12:39 AM »
I figured this was the right section for narrow this down. My background in vintage cameras often finds me trying to square of details, just for the curiosity angle.  My bike,  frame and engine numbers are stated on the log book as registered in 1982. Originally sold to me as a Honda britain cb750 ss limited edition. I know it is not! Far to many inconsistencies all around. I  assumed though it had been based on a sohc f2 though all thr same.  1982 however seems very late for that even. What do the more knowledgeable heads say? Could it be just old showroom stock?

This confused bike continues to throw curve balls. Dropping the sump pan off for inspection reveals the bottom of the engine isn't painted. Then while stripping the rear brake master cylinder I looked up the replacement service kit and it appears to be 750f. Of no consequence but glad I took it apart first. 🤪

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2020, 01:55:20 PM »
I thought,  from your original picture of engine, it may be a mix.

Exhaust stubs are up to K6 as K7 and F2 use the opposite and include the flanges in the pipe with collets to secure.  The two systems are interchangeable so doesn't definitively make it one or the other.

The front of the cases look painted aftermarket rather than factory where it's peeling off,  along the front of the head too.

Oil filter looks painted,  but it's got the F2 only sandwich plate behind it, with extra cooling fins. Again will fit all years I believe,  just has the plate plus means of fixing.

F2 head has larger fins across front,  plus bigger valves recessed into head further to get them in. Also higher domed pistons to take up extra volume from combustion chamber shape. And different cam.

Carbs,  as you've spotted seem to be earlier and not the PD accelerator pumped type of F2.

F2 and K7 were paired for bottom end of motor and both have increased sprocket output bearing to take loading from bigger final drive chain. K7 was silver so could be a painted K7.

It could be F1 motor entirely with F2 filter plate fitted. F2 should be black on the inside to be genuine.

If dismantling the motor,  take care to record what they've done with the gaskets, o-rings,  seals etc for head and barrels.  If they are mixed here you need to know as F2 deletes 4 oil drain holes from head and has different arrangements to the others. Not fixings but sealing of oil ways.

Offline Grumpyfck

• Grumpy old fella
  • SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2020, 09:06:41 PM »
I think there is much need to watch and record everything I pull apart. I admit I am somewhat confused but I  have decided to embrace it and see where it takes me.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal