Author Topic: Oops or **** it! Rear wheel re-spoke update  (Read 1961 times)

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
Oops or **** it! Rear wheel re-spoke update
« on: September 26, 2020, 02:45:39 PM »
So after useful advice on re-spoking I carried on and all was going well until this happened, and it wasn't fully tensioned I reckon, any ideas for remedy or is it another rear rim time >:(
The shoulder of the nipple has pulled through the rim opening, it's a new rim so not used or corroded!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Oops or **** it! Rear wheel re-spoke update
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 03:22:09 PM »
That has to be a bad, or badly drilled rim

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 04:51:18 PM »
The hole next to the damaged one looks too big for the spoke nipple. They are either drilled too big or you have the wrong size spokes/nipples. 😟
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 05:10:27 PM »
I bought them as a set of rims and spokes from DS for £159.00 all in, so I would like to think that they are compatible spokes to holes - However they no longer appear on their list of parts for the 400/4 - hmm I smell a rat. I have emailed DS and will wait and see!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 05:58:40 PM »
If i remember correctly, when Sliver was a member on this forum, he did say that he sells rims of different quality ranging from Lada to the DID Rolls Royce  ;) You may have bought the very low quality ones.

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 08:30:10 PM »
I bought them as a set of rims and spokes from DS for £159.00 all in, so I would like to think that they are compatible spokes to holes - However they no longer appear on their list of parts for the 400/4 - hmm I smell a rat. I have emailed DS and will wait and see!
I notice on the DSS site the wheel rim selection has hole sizes given for some not others, it strikes me as odd that there might be two sizes. The first thing I thought when I saw your pics was incompatible parts. I've got re-spoking on my own wish lidst so I'm watching with interest.
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 09:05:34 PM »
What a pain Bill, I hope you get it sorted with Sliver as that can't be right.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Oops or **** it! Rear wheel re-spoke update
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 03:16:39 PM »
Hi all

£159 for a set of rims and spokes seems a bit cheap to me

Fitted alloy rims and stainless spoke from central wheel supplies for my project and total was over £400

IMO wheels are like brakes, they are a critical safety item. And one day your life may depend on them so you should buy the best you can afford

Hope you get it sorted Al

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 04:07:12 PM by allankelly1 »

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 07:16:44 PM »
Mr Silver advises that this was a "batch" they were offered and would not be able to source more - hmm! However their correspondence so far is positive , they wanted to know the diameter of the spoke , which is 10.4mm at its widest, where it fits inside rim.
I have old DID rear and front rims that need rechroming so I may have to go down that route, but it seemed better financially to just re-use the hubs in new rims, we shall see. Incidentally the new spoke thread fits the old rim nipple , personally i suspect the rim, couple more pics added with spoke removed for your delectation.
Agree with the comment on Central Wheels and their rims but I'm only a poor old pensioner!! ;)

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 07:37:55 PM »
Hope you get it sorted Bill
I've been 'warming up' to doing my wheels so interested seeing how others get on.
It seems DSS have 2 or 3 different rims they offer but not all in stock so a bit confusing at the moment, luckily not in a rush!
Wemoto also have rims and spokes but again no idea on quality of these.
Think I'll sit back and wait a bit - really just putting off making a decision but luckily have lots of other bits to do in the meantime.
Cheers,
Andy

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 07:40:03 PM »
I would just wait until Silver has the DID's back in stock again, it won't be long I'm sure.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2020, 08:26:44 PM »
This is what the man himself told us a few years back.

"David Silver Spares wrote: "Hi Ashley Derrick, cannot seem to log in, have registered and been accepted. Here is my Resonse : DID rims; definetely the Rolls Royce of wheel rims and suppliers to Honda as original equipment rims. Of course, these are the most expensive but we stock them for all SOHC's. Union Cycle rims; Made in Thailand, quality OK, have had some CB400F's where the holes needed reaming out slightly. OK for a wheel builder to build, tricky for individuals if this is found. Only available for smaller bikes up to CB400F, have used them many times on our own CB400F restorations. Sumitomo rims: The 'Lada' rim, fits, works but the joins are crude (agricultural) and the chrome is not the best. Chinese made but to be fair, a price to match and if you don't intend to fit it to a show bike but one that will get occasional use in Summer, this rim will be fine. Only available for CB500-750's. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for and by keeping 3 brands we are trying to suit all requirements and pockets."
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2020, 08:41:00 AM »
Interesting stuff
I guess it's always the case with replacement parts - until direct comparisons have been made by a few people it's hard to really know.
Julie - I think that's what I'll do as the last thing I want is any problems with the wheels or disappointment if they don't look good at the end.
DS also list a Takasago rim described as:-

A high quality replacement rim, offering an alternative to the original which is no longer available. Produced by one of Hondas' original equipment manufacturers "TAKASAGO".
Why go to the effort and cost of re-chroming your old rim, when you can now replace with new, much cheaper and with no compromise on quality!

I may give them a call to see what is available / when others will be / what differences are etc. before ordering anything.

Cheers,
Andy

PS sorry for hi-jacking the thread Bill

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2020, 09:55:24 AM »
Andy D - the rims I'm using/purchased ARE Takasago! Well they're stamped with that on the rim. The chrome does look reasonable quality although I had to remove a oily residue to polish them, presume coated at factory to prevent corrosion in storage etc.
I never realised that different wheels may have different spoke sizes - how can you tell?

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2020, 04:15:07 PM »
A certain supplier has agreed to supply replacement rims of a different type for BOTH rims FOC - make of that what you will ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal