Author Topic: 400 next steps  (Read 730 times)

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
400 next steps
« on: September 30, 2020, 01:01:08 PM »
Finally got the misbehaving 400 to stop dribbling and also got hold of a petrol tap to fit the replacement tank I found a while ago - the two key issues causing untold foul language and misery.
She was a basket case with many signs of long term bodgery so I decided to rebuild the engine and carbs and then see how (if) she ran well enough to spend more money and time on pretty stuff.
With numerous queries and tremendous help from many on this site she is now back 'together' and on her (flat) tyres.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Engine runs smoothly and on airless tyres with no brakes felt quite promising up and down the drive so I guess time for the next round of wallet-bashing.
Won't be going for anything like pristine finish, rather a complete, sound bike with largely original looks and a fair dollop of patina / ageing.
I've already got a DS repro seat to fit when 'safe' to do so and the DS silencer looks and sounds good so at least a coupe of big items covered.

Apologies in advance but I'll have another pile of questions but to start with...
Is there a reasonable blue paint aerosol so I can paint the side panels - currently awful condition purple from previous decor.

The brake pedal is bent and broken and I've seen lots on eBay as well as DS etc. - are the repro's OK and any better then others etc?
Cheers,
Andy

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: 400 next steps
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 12:07:03 PM »
Coming on nicely. 👍
I have a DS replica brake pedal on my 400f and it fits fine, decent chrome. I had to bend out the wire toe protector bit a little to clear the exhaust when pedal depressed. That may have been because my pattern exhaust was slightly out of position though.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 03:01:27 PM »
Whilst I admit that I still have the OE exhaust and rear brake pedal, on normal brake adjustment the toe-guard is quite a distance from the exhaust. ??

Offline CB400JAY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 03:34:39 PM »
Whilst I admit that I still have the OE exhaust and rear brake pedal, on normal brake adjustment the toe-guard is quite a distance from the exhaust. ??

Something looks a bit off with the mounting point of the exhaust.   Brake pedal could be bent as well. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 03:36:22 PM by CB400JAY »

Offline bobv7

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 04:47:38 PM »
Looks OK to me, the guard is in the right place to stop rubbing against the case.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal