Author Topic: DSS replica seat  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
DSS replica seat
« on: October 02, 2020, 10:29:12 AM »
I purchased a new replica seat for the 400/4 from DSS. It looks almost like the real thing especially with one of Piki's Honda decals added to the back.
I do have a problem with it though, it is very difficult to latch into the seat lock. It appears the thick rubber block attached to the rear of the seat pan is too thick by about 5mm. Has anyone else had this trouble with a pattern seat and what was the solution? I'm tempted to take a sharp knife to the rubber block and trim it but is there another cause I cannot see?
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Windycorner

• View Profile
Re: DSS replica seat
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 12:20:12 PM »
I had the same seat from DSS, I cut about 7mm off leaving about 6mm of rear rubber block and it's now latches well and looks right.
Neil
CB750FA
CB400F2

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 01:54:39 PM »
There was a problem with the rubbers on a batch of CB750 K3 to K6 seats a few years ago. All you had to do was contact Sliver for the correct rubbers  ;)

Online Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 03:03:16 PM »
I so thought I had a dud I bought another one, same thing...I needed the strength of Hercules to make the seat lock on. In the end I removed two rubber cushion rings off the bike, they were perished anyway ...I'm not sure their presence was standard or a bodge because I got the bike with a very aftermarket seat. What has bothered me is the split mine developed after just two years of moderate use, a metal tongue within was now able to scratch the tank, if out of sight. Nothing I can't repair and I do have another seat. But did that metal tongue cause the split? Did removing the cushion pads off the bike tempt fate?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 03:37:18 PM by Athame57 »
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 08:07:21 AM »
Don't be tempted to remove too much rubber from the buffer stops as you need to maintain enough space so as not to restrict the air flow to the engine air intake.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 02:52:35 PM »
Thanks all. It turned out to be the rubber block hitting the rear frame bridge (the rear mudguard mounting point). I measured the new seat block against my genuine seat and it was 20mm thick, the genuine one is 7mm thick! I cut the appropiate amount off the new rubber block using a knife in-situ as I couldn't get the block off the seat, it would have destroyed the moulded bungs on the back of  the rubber block where they push into the seat base.  All now perfect :)
I have a buyer for the bike now, it will never be used as its going on display in his dining room! He's buying it as an investment as he doesn't even have a licence and has never ridden a bike before!
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 04:13:36 PM »
Thanks all. It turned out to be the rubber block hitting the rear frame bridge (the rear mudguard mounting point). I measured the new seat block against my genuine seat and it was 20mm thick, the genuine one is 7mm thick! I cut the appropiate amount off the new rubber block using a knife in-situ as I couldn't get the block off the seat, it would have destroyed the moulded bungs on the back of  the rubber block where they push into the seat base.  All now perfect :)
I have a buyer for the bike now, it will never be used as its going on display in his dining room! He's buying it as an investment as he doesn't even have a licence and has never ridden a bike before!

Sounds like the buyer has been watching too much Wayne Carini then again if he is young enough he will see a good return on his investment. It's interesting to watch where all this nostalgia thing for old stuff is heading - older generation buying things they wanted when they were younger and now having the dosh?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 06:04:41 PM »
It’s interesting to see the number of Honda’s advertised as ‘cast iron investments’ on auction sites. Is there such a thing? ... Maybe if we all downed-tools for a while then the prices would falter (a sort of SOHC Circuit-breaker, to use the current terminology!)
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 11:56:05 AM »
older generation buying things they wanted when they were younger and now having the dosh?

Yea but what happens when all us old guys have popped our cloggs? The majority of 20 something bikers I come across are not very impressed with my bikes preferring their plastic crotch rockets. I think prices at some point in the future will peak then start to tail off

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal