Author Topic: Will later barrels fit a k1  (Read 971 times)

Offline Basil5638

• View Profile
Will later barrels fit a k1
« on: October 03, 2020, 05:00:12 PM »
I am rebuilding a K1 , the barrels are shot due to corrosion. Later barrels have different seals for the oilways, does anyone know whether these later barrels will still fit the original crankcases and head of a K1.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Will later barrels fit a k1
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 08:05:25 PM »
I am rebuilding a K1 , the barrels are shot due to corrosion. Later barrels have different seals for the oilways, does anyone know whether these later barrels will still fit the original crankcases and head of a K1.

Barrels are shot or the liners are shot ? Rebore the original K1 liners  ;)

Trying to match up later head and barrels to early engines can be a nightmare to get right and heads and barrels are different shapes and castings for different years.

Offline Basil5638

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 06:18:11 PM »
The liners have justt been  bored to +75thou but one of the liners still has corrosion and about 20 thou between piston and liner. A lousy job. Will either buy a similar K1 barrel for rebore or can the liners be replaced. Thanks

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 10:59:15 PM »
Liners can be replaced, i do this daily. Are you sure that when you had it rebored that the piston to bore clearance is less than a thou for Honda pistons ?

Show me a picture of the liner as, i have a few in stock  ;)

Offline Basil5638

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 02:15:57 PM »
I bought the bike as "just rebored" but it smoked . Pistons are very loose in the barrel, will try and send a picture to you. From what I've read I'll be happy for you to undertake any work required. Abroad at the moment but can get my son to post.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal