SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

1977 400F2 first restore project

(1/46) > >>

smoothoperator:
Bought as a runner but not a roller. Went to see the bike before bidding and thought it looked about right for a restore. Plenty to do but on the face of it not a basket case. Engine was demonstrated and started and ran well. Advertised cam chain rattle didn't seem that bad to my, untrained ear. Looked carefully at the crankcase, cam adjusting bolt is snapped off. Signs of oil leak on rhs, confirmed now it's home but it's small. Petrol tap wept whilst it was running. History is interesting as the previous owner had it since 1980 and stored it for much of that time. Oil on dipstick is very clean. Came with a Haynes manual which has clearly been well thumbed by oily fingers and includes hand written notes in a number of the sections. Small box of bits included 1 valve and a set of rocker arms. Receipts show some head work was done including 1 inlet and 1 exhaust valve, in 1981. In the same year it was also treated to a new OEM silencer at £45, which sounds very expensive given the date. Still has OEM silencer, well anyway it says HONDA on it I haven't looked too closely yet.

So anyhow plan is initially to get it rolling as well as running. I've fixed the leaking fuel tap and I'm Evaporust treating the tank which is in pretty good condition really. I've installed a Motobatt MB12U having scoured these pages even though I have a bottle of 1.28SG battery acid in my garage the last 20 years and I still don't get to use it.

Front brake is the current job. Master cylinder is not original I think because there is a manky old spare one in the bits box. The one on the bike is not delivering fluid to the brake caliper. I'm currently working on the spare to see if I can get the piston out of it. It also has a broken mirror stem in it, which I see as potential good practise for removing future horrors. Perhaps someone can tell me if it is the original?

Looking ahead, can anyone recommend me an impact driver? Open to hit with hammer or electric, anything that works really. I have bought a Vessel JIS impact screwdriver No2 but I'm not convinced it's right for some of the bigger screws that are a bit gnarly.

Lobo:
Hi,
1st up keen to learn whether your CB400F2 is GVHxxS... coz I should have never sold it 🙁.

Secondly, whilst not quite the impact driver you were perhaps considering, if you can spare the £ I’d go an 18v rattle gun - one of those tools you never knew you needed. Will do everything single handed from worn x-heads to wheel nuts...

Nurse Julie:
Enjoy your project.

K2-K6:
Looks like a good start to work with.

For "Looking ahead, can anyone recommend me an impact driver? Open to hit with hammer or electric, anything that works really. I have bought a Vessel JIS impact screwdriver No2 but I'm not convinced it's right for some of the bigger screws that are a bit gnarly."

I use a drill screwdriver for the cross headed screws as it's able to turn the clutch down and persistently rattle the screws without putting too much torque through them.  So in effect it agitates them rather that overloading.  If face is noticeably chewed,  then "refine" it with a ball pien hammer first to reform the cross,  then tap the bit into the head and it'll get good drive usually.

smoothoperator:
Thanks for the replies. Not your old one I'm afraid Lobo, this one is VNA---S. Just ordered some DOT 4+ brake fluid, as this also suits my car which is in need of a top up, hey that's cheaper than replacing the pads and watching the fluid magically rise as I push the pistons back. Ordered circlip pliers for the deeply buried circlip in the Master cylinder. Also been busy setting a google image album to which there should be a functional link below. Only one way to find out...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/atHTWsQE4tgzLgcS8

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version