SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

1977 400F2 first restore project

<< < (4/46) > >>

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):

--- Quote from: Lobo on October 14, 2020, 06:02:04 AM ---Hmm, never thought about it Mac... tho’ this stolen from Wikipedia..

“ An impact wrench (also known as an impactor, impact gun, air wrench, air gun, rattle gun, torque gun, windy gun) is a socket wrench power tool designed to deliver high torque output with minimal exertion by the user, by storing energy in a rotating mass, then delivering it suddenly to the output shaft. It was invented by Robert H. Pott of Evansville, Indiana.”
[/quote
In that case we agree a rattle gun is a great tool - it removed all my clutch casing screws easily. Mine has two torque settings for tightening but it defaults to maximum when undoing anything. I only use the tightening mode for wheel nuts - always using a torque stick - they are a clever invention for impact drivers.
--- End quote ---

Bryanj:
Personally i wouldnt use a "rattle gun" on hillips screws only on nuts and bolts plus the odd spinning allen screw in bottom of fork leg.
I do have a 3/8 drive air impact gun from when i was in the trade but havent used it for years as i dont have a compressor

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):

--- Quote from: Bryanj on October 14, 2020, 08:38:09 PM ---Personally i wouldnt use a "rattle gun" on hillips screws only on nuts and bolts plus the odd spinning allen screw in bottom of fork leg.
I do have a 3/8 drive air impact gun from when i was in the trade but havent used it for years as i dont have a compressor

--- End quote ---
The impact driver I use is a cordless electric one as is my impact screwdriver. Surprisingly the impact screwdriver is kinder on a Philips headed woodscrew than doing it by hand.  Cordless hand tools have really improved in the last decade. That said I would always tighten into alloy & steel by hand.

Lobo:
I find the same too; ie far less damage done to cross-heads, perhaps because you are able to apply a more effective ‘push’ force into the head.
Last week I got 8 x 50yo Phillips fastenings out of the Kombi door hinges. A lot of nail biting work, the beauty of the cordless tool being it’s easy of use, working forward / rev and so on, lots of penetrating oil etc. I sincerely doubt any other tool would have been as effective.

That said, and one for the smart folk; given you can undo fastenings effortlessly with the wrist (rattle gun) (& wheel nuts would be the prime example)- does this imply less torque is being applied? And if so... how does that work, is it simply the jarring motion mixed with torque? And if ultimately less torque, defacto less damage to the fastening?

And agreed; tightening up small fastenings with the tool has gotta be a no-no.

Andych:
That is why they make a 3/8" Impact tool (mine is a Ryobi) and its a nice match for my 1/2" drive 18v Impact wrench.
I believe both are a Pre-set max torque. 150 Ft lbs for the 3/8" and 300 Ft lbs for the 1/2". I never use them to "torque" up bolts but will spin them up close and then final check with a torque wrench.

The 3/" one with a set of JIS bits is the pefect tool for pulling apart old Japanese motorcycles :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version