SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

I bought this CB550K3 at Auction

(1/7) > >>

gbjeppm:
Hi All,

Further to my intro post, I said that i would post up how I am getting along, so I am starting a project thread.

I bought a CB550 K3 (Registered Jan 1979), Chassis number CB550K-202*****. Seems a little odd that it is a Jan 1979 bike yet it is a K3, but i am not arguing with DVLA. It is a UK registered bike, that is HPI Clear, and has not been on the road since 2006.

That is it as far as History is concerned. Bought at auction with no V5. The speedo says it has done approx 26k miles.

The bike arrived from the auction house a couple of days ago by courier, and I have started to get into it, to assess what I have, what is missing, what needs doing etc.

Here are a few pics of the initial state.

The Exhaust

The Front Rim

So hopefully you get the general idea. My hope was that it would still clean up well, as most of the rust was surface rust, and with a lot of elbow grease it could be dealt with.

Here is a shot of the right hand  pipes after a bit of effort with the wire wool.

Nurse Julie:
Looking better already. Wire wool is so underestimated

gbjeppm:
So i start to go through the bike to potentially think about starting it.

It has oil in it at the right level, it has spark on at least the two outside cylinders (I have ordered the correct spark plug socket, so that i can get the middle one's out.)

I opened the Carb drain screws up, and nasty green sludge dropped out, so I removed the carbs, stripped and cleaned them. Most of the jets were blocked, and most of the float bowls stuck.

Luckily the fuel tank was empty, and not too bad, so that should be fine to use when I am ready.

Amyway with a temp fuel tank hooked up, and a new battery, all of the lights lit up, the starter whirred and she came to life on the 4th press of the starter.

Definitely running a bit rough, and cylinder 3 is not firing at all as far I can tell.

I have ordered new plugs, along with the spark plug tool. So when they arrive I can change all the plugs, and test for compression etc and hopefully dial the bike in properly.

Also ordered a new clutch cable, fuel tank front rubber, horn (it was missing), oil, oil filter etc,

Slightly cleaner, lots more cleaning to do while I wait on parts.

robvangulik:
You do know wire wool works best when lubed with a bit of diesel or petroleum?

hondarc166:
looking better now looking at your pillar drill is it  made in swadlincote by o bryans i think they called it fobco ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version