Author Topic: Wheel Building  (Read 1643 times)

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Wheel Building
« on: October 19, 2020, 09:58:40 AM »
Hi,
Finally seems DSS are getting both DID rims in stock shortly so I've ordered these up and am just wondering what tools are worthwhile / essential.

I guess a spoke spanner - Amazon have a few different ones but any recommendations very welcome

Is a stand of some kind essential / useful / just another dust-collecting bit of kit for the garage?

Cheers,
Andy

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel Building
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 10:23:27 AM »
Hi Andy

I think a stand is a must

If you want where are you are I am willing to post my one I made for my wheel build as now my wheels are done I don’t need it anymore and if I did need one I would just make up fabricate another one like I did first time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 05:43:35 PM »
Ditto the stand - got mine from flea bay for £65 - not cheap but time you've faffed around could be easier also a spoke spanner Sealey do one for about £12 would send you the ebay link but not sure how to do it. If you're an engineer though a stand would be a doddle to make up!
Plus also buy as much patience as you can afford and tea/coffee and when it gets frustrating walk away! Good news about DS having stock in, still waiting for replacement front rim from duff batch they sent me.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 05:53:30 PM »
I will have to redo the easy way

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 08:24:43 PM »
Hi Andy

I think a stand is a must

If you want where are you are I am willing to post my one I made for my wheel build as now my wheels are done I don’t need it anymore and if I did need one I would just make up fabricate another one like I did first time

I'm just about to start start my wheel build and if Andy doesn't take you up on your offer, can I take you up on your offer Alan?
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 08:32:01 PM »
Of course you can

Like I said I don’t think I will need it again and if I do I will just make another at work

All I ask is that you cover the post

Best wishes Al

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 08:42:53 PM »
Look at the bent end of the spokes and sort them out into the two different sorts.

Look at one of each spoke plus the hub, one type of spoke goes from outside to inside(you can see the head of the spoke from the outside), the other type has the head on the inside of the hub flange you will normaly find witness marks on the hub flange.

Take the set that go from outside to inside and fit to the hub.

Lace these 20(if its a 500/550/750--16 if 400) to the rim tighten evenly and true the wheel using a stand or whatever remembering that the rim will "kick" where it is welded and that a DTI is way too accurate, both Honda and VOSA(MOT) state 3mm(1/8 inch) for both ideways and radial max limit.

Because there are only 20 spokes to work with its easier to true but do get all 20 at even tension, the ding test is fine,

You can now easily fit the other set of spokes one by one and tighten evenly.

NOTE:-

You must get the type of spoke in the correct order as you can not fit the outside to inside spokes second without bending them!!!

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Wheel Building
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 08:53:58 PM »
Hi

I think having a plunging DTI take the guess work out of what is high and low when trying to see the run out and make the truing process much easier

For my set up I had two

The only thing I did was fit mine with a plastic slipper like in the photo so I did not mark my alloy rims

Sorry to disagree

Best wishes Al

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 10:12:25 PM »
Of course you can

Like I said I don’t think I will need it again and if I do I will just make another at work

All I ask is that you cover the post

Best wishes Al

Thanks Al, out of courtesy I will wait for Andy to respond and message you if Andy doesn't want to take up your kind offer
Thanks again
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 10:59:41 PM »

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 08:08:05 AM »
Allan,
That's a really generous offer thanks and sorry for not replying sooner - still can't get the balance of work to hobby right!
DS say the rims should be in 'shortly' but that could I guess mean anything so if Phil is in more immediate need please tie up with him first as I'd really hate the thought of someone else needing them while they sat in my garage waiting for the bits to arrive!
I can always get / make a stand later if needed as there is no rush to get wheels finished

Bill - thanks, patience isn't one of my strengths so I'll add some to the shopping list as I normally fall back on foul language and bigger, heavier tools when patience runs out.
DS didn't have a firm date on the rims but thought it may be as soon as this week / next week but sounds like it's all a bit hit and miss on delivery dates at the moment for them.

Bryan - thanks for confirming the build sequence. No doubt there will be some questions when the bits arrive.

Cheers,
Andy

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 12:17:42 PM »
AndyD - one other thing if you can take shed loads of pictures of both sides of wheels BEFORE removing old spokes, get a good shot of complete wheel including hub and full rim as this will be invaluable. Good luck - if you've already removed spokes , as I did on one wheel I now have pics available if you need them.

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 06:49:58 PM »
Thanks Bill,
Luckily I've got spare complete original wheels to compare to which will hopefully make it easier

Cheers,
Andy

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 08:36:50 PM »

In light of Andy's response I PM you Alan to make arrangents - Thanks again
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 08:38:27 PM »

In light of Andy's response I PM you Alan to make arrangents - Thanks again

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal