Author Topic: Cerakote on engine cases  (Read 1668 times)

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Cerakote on engine cases
« on: November 03, 2020, 06:49:07 PM »
I think I know the answer to this before I ask it.

Can you Cerakote on engine cases, head etc.
The nature of ceramic coatings is that it retains heat. These engines are air cooled so anything that retains heat is probably a bad idea.

Fine for covers not for bits that need to keep cool.

Is my thinking right? Has anyone tried it on the engine? I like the idea of it because it's so durable and I don't have to upset the other half by ruining the oven.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Cerakote on engine cases
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 10:32:30 PM »
I've not used it but seen it used and the claims made for ceramic coating.

I feel that it would be ok to use in this situation,  but that's based on reasoning that the claims made for it are not supported to any realistic degree.
It seems to be highly resilient when used in high heat applications,  also resistance to corrosion seems very good too. So, desirable qualities which are certainly attractive.  Seems easy to keep clean as well.

It's the retaining heat part I find highly dubious,  certainly in reflection when heat directly approaches the ceramic coating seems to have some merit, as in protection of the components it's placed on by preventing some level of heat going in past the coating. 

But heat coming out from a mass (the castings) is radiant, the claims at best appear very tenuous.  It just looks as if they've found it works as a coating on exhaust systems both for resilience and longevity,  with heat retention as pure marketing BS.
saying things like "up to 30% improvement in heat reduction " without supporting empirical data just doesn't add up to much at all.
It's more of the ilk of "a bloke that runs racing cars says it's ok" type of promotion.
One UK based ceramic coater has got something like "applied with top of the range electronic machinery "  ::) which is a bit like an Essex car dealer selling a "top-a-the-range" ford cortina to the local trade's union shop steward.
Well,  you get the idea. I'll get off my ceramic coated soap box now.

To me,  if it stays cleaner in use it would most likely offer better cooling if you compare it to many air cooled bike engines that are difficult to clean between the fins and the sump area being exposed to so much road filth.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 11:01:43 PM »
Think I was a bit too enthusiastic there toward their marketing in this product area  ;D

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 08:08:55 AM »
Well, thanks for the input K2-K6! I guess if the heat retention part of their claims doesn't do what it says on the tin it actually might work quite well on the cases/head/barrels. I just can't find any other examples of it being done which I'm sure can't be the case.

Lv-customs in Morden (who is currently doing my tank and seat paint) offer cerakote and suggested it to me. I'll see how much it costs because that might stop it in its tracks!

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 10:15:15 AM »
All joking aside, some of those finishes seem very good (there's various levels of branding around) but just seem to have got caught up in their own marketing.

Looked at objectively for the application you want then certainly attractive, price allowing as you state.

Lv are close to me and didn't realise they were based there,  almost next door to my local MOT station. Interested to hear how much it costs.

Offline Andych

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 12:05:47 PM »
Plenty of people using Cerakote on engines etc here in Australia... there are some spectacular colours on some 2 stoke stuff  I have seen...
Basic qualities are chemical resistance (fuel and oil) scratch resistance etc...
there are some good pics from this site on FB and no doubt plenty of good ones in the UK too.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/xtremefuelsystems/photos/?ref=page_internal
1975 CB400 - Project
1978 Yamaha SRX250 - Project

Offline masonmart

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 01:05:23 PM »
I think I know the answer to this before I ask it.

Can you Cerakote on engine cases, head etc.
The nature of ceramic coatings is that it retains heat. These engines are air cooled so anything that retains heat is probably a bad idea.

Fine for covers not for bits that need to keep cool.

Is my thinking right? Has anyone tried it on the engine? I like the idea of it because it's so durable and I don't have to upset the other half by ruining the oven.

I have my complete engine and pipes coated with Cerakote, looks great and no problems of any kind.
Dresda CB500-4, 605 cc
CB-77, 350 cc
1968 Bonneville
1976 Thruxton Velocette
1974 Kawasaki Avenger
1997 VFR 750

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 03:59:15 PM »
Out today and dropped by Lv and he showed me some items that he'd had finished this way.  It does look and feel a very good finish on those that I saw,  exhaust, bars and handlebar switches.  Very thin coating with no filler "effect that you may get with powder coat for example.

Watched this https://youtu.be/90bGRCKvQDo to see what's involved,  seems quite simple and more or less a catalyst cured paint product that they subsequently heat "harden".  What's in it that makes it "cera" implying ceramic content, it's hard to discern.

Looking at the switch application though brought thoughts of just how good it looked if you were to use in restoration work on these bikes. You can trim the matt, semi or other aspect of it too and get just what you want.

It's just that aspect of heat retention that seems at odds with it's usefulness,  but I can't see those claims standing up anyway. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal