Other Stuff > Tricks & Tips

Wheel buiding the easier way

(1/3) > >>

Bryanj:
If you want to rebuild your ownspoked wheels try my instructions below.

Please advise if you think it dont make sense

Look at the bent end of the spokes and sort them out into the two different sorts.

Look at one of each spoke plus the hub, one type of spoke goes from outside to inside(you can see the head of the spoke from the outside), the other type has the head on the inside of the hub flange you will normaly find witness marks on the hub flange.

Take the set that go from outside to inside and fit to the hub.

Lace these 20(if its a 500/550/750--16 if 400) to the rim tighten evenly and true the wheel using a stand or whatever remembering that the rim will "kick" where it is welded and that a DTI is way too accurate, both Honda and VOSA(MOT) state 3mm(1/8 inch) for both ideways and radial max limit.

Because there are only 20 spokes to work with its easier to true but do get all 20 at even tension, the ding test is fine,

You can now easily fit the other set of spokes one by one and tighten evenly.

NOTE:-

You must get the type of spoke in the correct order as you can not fit the outside to inside spokes second without bending them!!!

Deano400:
Makes sense to me Brian. I've only done half a dozen wheels but your method is the way I ended up doing it having struggled on my first wheel.

Deano400:
Apologies 'Bryan'.

Bryanj:
No problem i answer to most things

Johnny4428:
Thanks Bryan, that is so much easier having built one this morning. I will adopt this method from now on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version