Author Topic: Brake Squeal  (Read 494 times)

Offline Dave

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Brake Squeal
« on: October 23, 2020, 02:12:50 PM »
I just thought I would post my experience with the front disc squealing on my CB400F. The squeal has been particularly bad since I bought the bike. Very bad. In fact, it was so bad that I was unconsciously modifying my riding behaviour to compensate!

My first steps in tackling the problem was to go through a comprehensive list of recommendations that can be found elsewhere on the forum. New pads, ensuring the caliper was free to move and properly set up, bleeding the brake, de-glazing the disc with sandpaper and so on.  I noticed a slight improvement when I de-glazed the disc. But it was only a slight improvement and the effects didn’t last for long.

It got me thinking though. What if the glazed disc was behaving in a similar way to running a wet finger over a wine glass. The “slippy / grippy” nature of the pads against the glazed disc were causing the disc to squeal.

I removed the disc from the bike and could see as well as being glazed is was also very pitted. You can’t really see the pitting from a distance but on closer inspection it was very apparent.  To be fair, it is 45 years old.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

No amount of sandpaper or elbow grease was going to sort it out. I thought of perhaps getting the brake skimmed in some way but after some consideration I decided to buy a new ABE disc which was sourced from David Silver. It was a fair amount of money, but (a) we probably spend more on making our bikes shiny and (b) it’s the front disc! A pretty important component when considering the important line between riding and death ;-)

I installed the new disc and it has cured the squeal problem completely! No squeal whatsoever. Nothing.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Of course, I am not suggesting that anyone with this problem should go out and buy a new disc. However, if you find yourself in a situation where you have set up all of the braking system correctly and still have the squeal problem – de-glazing in some way may work for you also.

I should also add I am now regularly cleaning the new disc with isopropyl alcohol (IPA) to stop the nasty stuff building up again…

Dave

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Re: Brake Squeal
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 03:21:52 PM »
I hope it stays that way mate! Talk about stays though, what happened to your fenders stays?
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline Dave

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Brake Squeal
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 09:02:22 AM »
> I hope it stays that way mate

You and me both!! I'll try updating this thread once in a while on how it's going (working or not)

> Talk about stays though, what happened to your fenders stays?

I had workshop accident and squashed the front facing stay. I've managed to hammer it back into shape so it's now back on the bike, but it isn't pretty  :'( Still, it buys me some time until I can source a replacement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal