SOHC.co.uk Forums > Recommended Sources for Parts and Services

Good paint and paint suppliers?

(1/4) > >>

Gareth:
Hi
First post so hope its in the right spot.

Seeking recommendations for good motorcycle paint suppliers in the UK. Hope you can help.

I’m doing a part restoration on a late 1970s CB200. I’m at a stage to get the tank and side panels painted back to their original colour after a long process of love and care. I am very happy with the person lined up to do this paint job. His work, advise and support has been second to none.

The colour I’m after is the: G-38M-S: Muscat Green Metallic.

Reading the posts, I’ve found so far, most seem to recommend RS: https://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-gb/shop-paints.php?colourscheme=3747&9181=on

However, to say that the chap the parts are with does not talk very highly of RS, is a massive understatement. And so, I am on the hunt for another (or a few) alternative suggestions for good motorcycle paint suppliers that do this colour and do them well. I have no parts with the original colour so can’t colour sample/match.

Any thoughts and/or recommendations?

(Add your preferred paint supplier, why you like them /their paint and what colour/s you got from them.)

Thanks

Nurse Julie:
RS Paints are the premier supplier of classic bike paints in the UK. I don't think I have ever heard a bad word said about them. I haven't had paint from them personally, as all our paintwork, and many forum members, have our paint done in Germany by Menno Dek.

Gareth:
Thanks for the reply.

Just to say that the opinion RS paints is totally his (the bike restorer I'm working with). I've never used RS paints so have no comment on them. I will ping Menno Dek an email via his website and see if he has any suggestions.

Thanks again

philward:
I've had paint from RS for 2 bikes and its spot on - my painter has never made comment on the paint I've provided - is your painter experience in candy paints?

heli_madken:
I have done a lot of painting in my time and find RS paint colours spot on and easy to use. Two comments I would make is I am not too keen on their primer so tend to buy 2K primers from elsewhere and their clear coat is Isocyanate free so takes a lot longer to harden and become fuel proof etc but ultimately works fine.

It may be that your professional painter doesnt like this delay in being able to flat and polish the clear coat? The simple answer is to use RS colours and full 2K clear from another source

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version