Author Topic: "Cafe Racers"  (Read 1983 times)

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
"Cafe Racers"
« on: October 24, 2020, 06:23:01 PM »
Just browsing eBay. Looking at 750f1's which I admit to having a soft spot for.
I spotted a F1 Cafe Racer.  Which looks ok. If you like that sort of thing. But I think. If one is going to do something different. Do yer own thing. Not buy someone else's.
But my point is. How can someone take a bike. Then throw half of it away. Then ask 3 times what a original mint bike is worth?

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
Re: "Cafe Racers"
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 06:28:26 PM »
ahh, the age old question. Not only that, but is the thing that remains safe?

I've seen BMW K100 "cafe racers" that should really be scrapped as unsafe. And I've bought fairing parts so cheap because every is binning them off to make Crapè racers.

I loved my F1 when I had it and would not have changed an inch of it
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

Online Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 06:48:31 PM »
I wouldn't pay far too much (says someone who paid too much for a standard CB400F, but if I saw a cafe racer I could BUILD ON...then I might. Customization can be an ongoing thing.
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

Offline bobv7

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 06:55:16 PM »
I can remember the time when the term "cafe racer" was only used to register scorn and derision for those who were better at posing on bikes than actually riding them. The English language is a wonderfully accommodating and flexible thing!

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 06:55:36 PM »
I think current expensive tend for cafe racers and bobbers etc is buying a lifestyle in many cases. Fashion statement!
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 07:16:39 PM »
Ref binning good parts to make a cafe racer - a lot of the bikes that they are made of have scrap standard (expensive) parts like mudguards that they don't need to use on the cafe racer build - that helps the decision to build that sort of bike. Building back to standard is expensive! And it saves scapping old Honda's but as you say, doesn't justify the price - but it doesn't mead they et the price they ask - I have just sold a K6 cafe racer that had total ground up build (it was a started cafe racer project when I got it) - put it up for £4250 and it went for £3750 (and then knocked another £100 off as it turned out the speedo was duff) - see picture
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 07:49:55 PM »
Most of these cafe racer are just for looks. I have never seen one run right with pods on. Phil had the right idea with keeping the air box.
I will sell mine off in the spring as we are out of room and i need to build up 2 standard bikes. When i built RUF, it was a bit of a experiment to see if i could get a 750 to handle better than a standard one and all the parts were just laying around for the build. I will be sorry to see RUF go as for a hack about 750, it is one of the best handling old bikes i have ever had for twisty country roads.

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 08:00:10 PM »
As already pointed out, "restoring" as a cafe-racer can be sometimes cheaper (and easier to find good parts) than a standard rebuild, but each to their own, I love my £4000 pound cafe rebuild, and I had already built it as a cafe racer in 1985, but I don't decry those who want original headed bolts, or the original harness routing and cable clips. Cafe racers have been around since the 1960's, some good, some bad, mine was a 500cc Velocette then, but they are merely an expression of the owner's personal ideas, that is why my 460 Yoshi has a sticker on it   -made not bought-
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Online SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 08:30:25 PM »
I like the Cafe racer look..... but .... I wouldn't expect taking a classic and swapping bits over to make it hugely more valuable.

I am going to go down the light Cafe racer look with my project as I lack an original seat, and have bars that were never going to sit right. But....I won;t be chopping the frame rails off, or making any changes that would prevent a return to completely original in the future.

And the VERY first thing I bought for it was an original airbox :) I have had pod filter before, and while you can get the thing to run right without too much difficulty....it's only running right at part of the rev range. Hence my desire to get my paws on a proper airbox!
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 08:34:31 PM »
Most of these cafe racer are just for looks. I have never seen one run right with pods on. Phil had the right idea with keeping the air box.
I will sell mine off in the spring as we are out of room and i need to build up 2 standard bikes. When i built RUF, it was a bit of a experiment to see if i could get a 750 to handle better than a standard one and all the parts were just laying around for the build. I will be sorry to see RUF go as for a hack about 750, it is one of the best handling old bikes i have ever had for twisty country roads.
I actually put the standard air box back on - including the cut off air filter brackets welded back on for reason Graham stated - I had such a long winded job getting the CR750 Rep to run well across the rev range
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Online Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 09:35:02 PM »
Not all Cafe Racers are a fashion statement or whatever, I really like the one you see here. It is the steed of a very lovely Tasmanian lady called Katie Abdilla. She had crashed her standard bike and it was basically saved by going down the cafe racer path. The only thing I'm not sure about is the digital instruments, and I would personally prefer a small fairing too. She is no poseur either, her interesting instagram account proves that. More picks of her bike named Billie and other stuff she rides in sport here: https://www.instagram.com/katieabdilla/?hl=en
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 09:36:45 PM by Athame57 »
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2020, 09:41:21 PM »
Back in the 70's if somebody brought in a customised bike to trade in we started at the resale price then deducted the retail price of all the parts to return it it to standard, its very difficult to sell one mans dream to a different person.

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2020, 10:34:32 PM »
My comment about fashion statements was relating to those who just want the look without the effort or ability to do it themselves. I love lots of cafe racers and would love to eventually build one. Love the idividuality etc.
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2020, 10:26:17 AM »
I have to own up to putting a racing seat on my Ariel Arrow back in 1966 - reason was simple - I never carried passengers, it was not a proper Golden Arrow but had a brand new Golden Arrow engine fitted when the crank coupling broke on me.  A new racing style rear seat was cheaper than a replacement seat from the local Ariel parts dealer.

The bike modification that has me puzzled is the folk that convert a perfectly good reasonably modern bike frame into a "Bobber" - I just do not see any reason for such a drastic change? I assume this modification is not able to be done with a mono shock rear set up.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2020, 10:30:58 AM »
Same as when i was at college my Royal Enfied 250 got semi choperised as i had a free bantam tank, the extensions i made in the workshop and the high exhaust pipe with high bars was cheaper than standard ones. I was earning a whole £28 per month and the bike in bits cost me £7/10/6

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal