Author Topic: How do you avoid over wintering clutch sticking syndrome?  (Read 1208 times)

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
How do you avoid over wintering clutch sticking syndrome?
« on: October 25, 2020, 10:42:17 AM »
When I had my Yamaha XJ900 the clutch always stuck after a few months of not being used. What causes the clutches to actually stick is it moisture in the engine oil?

When I asked my B-i-L what he did with his quite large motorcycle collection of bikes he almost never rides he told me he put a wedge  in the clutch lever to hold it in the disengaged position!

What is the view here on the sohc site as the best method of avoiding clutch sticking?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: How do you avoid over wintering clutch sticking syndrome?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 11:08:55 AM »
I have managed to avoid my bikes clutch binding over winter by....riding it every day.

Of course, this solution doesn't work for everyone ;)
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline JezzaPeach

• SOHC Expert
  • CB500/4 K1 1972 gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 11:16:52 AM »
Mine does occasionally and I just rock it back and forth in gear gently with the clutch pulled in to free it before starting. I am just waiting to see if it has stopped doing it and was only because I let the oil get low due to the oil pump seals leaking. (NOT recommended is starting it on the stand, putting the back brake on, clutch in and engage gear 😳!)
1972 CB500/4 K1 Gold
Wanted: my 500/4 UGP96M
from 1975-78. Garnet Brown.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 12:04:08 PM »
Certainly would NOT jam the clutch lever in, that will obviously compress the clutch springs, and over time weaken them, and the cable would be permanently under tension, again not good, they are designed to be used briefly to allow smooth pull away and gear changes.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 12:18:05 PM »
I have managed to avoid my bikes clutch binding over winter by....riding it every day.

Of course, this solution doesn't work for everyone ;)

As a warm dry day rider only that's not an option for me. So am wondering what causes the adhesion between the clutch plates?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 12:55:01 PM »
How about pulling in the clutch and rolling the bike a few feet forward and backwards, in and out of gear now and again. That movement and operation should keep it from sticking too badly.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 01:39:14 PM »
It has to be in gear and clutch pulled to spin the interleaved plates and free one from another.

I favour oil change (service? ) prior to winter storage. Then with plugs out and light oil in the bores,  spin it over on starter until oil's pressure gets light out and also with clutch pulled.
Engine oils in use accumulate byproducts of combustion which include acids (suplhuric predominantly) from the sulphur in petrol.  Although it's chemically buffered to accommodate this,  I feel desirable to store it with new oil inside to take best advantage of corrosion inhibiting quality available. 
The oil in the bores also gives good storate conditions too.

Don't run it during storage,  just keep battery up to scratch with charger.  Restart in spring,  rock it to release clutch and ready for the fine weather.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 01:54:51 PM »
Forgot to add,  it seems that if you strip clutches after they've been stuck for a long time,  then there are witness marks of fine corrosion which I feel contribute to them being stuck.

Hence the view on oil condition and possible corrosion inhibiting effects. It would seem to hold more logic in changing oil prior to storage rather than when recommisioning as cost is the same but promotes better storage conditions. 

That's if you intend changing oil annually.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal