SOHC.co.uk Forums > Anorak's Corner

How do you avoid over wintering clutch sticking syndrome?

(1/2) > >>

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
When I had my Yamaha XJ900 the clutch always stuck after a few months of not being used. What causes the clutches to actually stick is it moisture in the engine oil?

When I asked my B-i-L what he did with his quite large motorcycle collection of bikes he almost never rides he told me he put a wedge  in the clutch lever to hold it in the disengaged position!

What is the view here on the sohc site as the best method of avoiding clutch sticking?

SumpMagnet:
I have managed to avoid my bikes clutch binding over winter by....riding it every day.

Of course, this solution doesn't work for everyone ;)

JezzaPeach:
Mine does occasionally and I just rock it back and forth in gear gently with the clutch pulled in to free it before starting. I am just waiting to see if it has stopped doing it and was only because I let the oil get low due to the oil pump seals leaking. (NOT recommended is starting it on the stand, putting the back brake on, clutch in and engage gear 😳!)

hairygit:
Certainly would NOT jam the clutch lever in, that will obviously compress the clutch springs, and over time weaken them, and the cable would be permanently under tension, again not good, they are designed to be used briefly to allow smooth pull away and gear changes.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):

--- Quote from: SumpMagnet on October 25, 2020, 11:08:55 AM ---I have managed to avoid my bikes clutch binding over winter by....riding it every day.

Of course, this solution doesn't work for everyone ;)

--- End quote ---

As a warm dry day rider only that's not an option for me. So am wondering what causes the adhesion between the clutch plates?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version