Author Topic: Paint chip on petrol tank.  (Read 622 times)

Offline Bradders

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Paint chip on petrol tank.
« on: October 30, 2020, 03:42:37 PM »
Afternoon all. I have managed to chip the paint of my newly painted petrol tank, it’s only a small chip and right near the front so don’t know it’s there without looking. Is there anything that you guys could recommend me to use to touch it up with? Thanks.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Paint chip on petrol tank.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 03:50:09 PM »
Menno is probably the best guy to ask Bradders. Biggest risk is using the wrong type of paint and getting a reaction.

Offline Bradders

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 03:53:40 PM »
Thanks James. Hadn’t thought of a reaction to the paint. I will send Menno an email and ask him.

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 03:57:07 PM »
Afternoon all. I have managed to chip the paint of my newly painted petrol tank, it%u2019s only a small chip and right near the front so don%u2019t know it%u2019s there without looking. Is there anything that you guys could recommend me to use to touch it up with? Thanks.
You sound just like me, if you didn't get it painted you wouldn't have chipped it. What I did to cure a pin head sized chip was to get a can of he right colour and one of lacquer first. I then masked off the area around the chip. I sprayed some of the paint into the cans own lid and applied in a few goes with an artists brush. Ditto the laquer, it takes close inspection to spot now.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 01:43:39 PM by Athame57 »
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

Offline Bradders

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 04:33:02 PM »
Afternoon all. I have managed to chip the paint of my newly painted petrol tank, it’s only a small chip and right near the front so don’t know it’s there without looking. Is there anything that you guys could recommend me to use to touch it up with? Thanks.
You sound just like me, if you didn't get it painted you wouldn't have chipped it. What I did to cure a pin head sized chip was to get a can of he right colour and one of lacquer first. I then masked off the area around the chip. I sprayed some of the paint into the cans own ld and applied in a few goes with an artists brush. Ditto the laquer, it takes close inspection to spot now.
I guess it was inevitable I would chip it sooner or later, just rather it was later rather than sooner! Thanks for the advice on fixing the chip.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal