Author Topic: Rip off DSS  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Rip off DSS
« on: November 01, 2020, 11:33:12 AM »
Was searching about for some parts this morning and found the same part number is half the price on DSS USA site compared to his UK site  18 dollars to £27.43   :o

Offline bobv7

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Rip off DSS
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 11:41:31 AM »
Twas ever thus! For some reason many products are to be found cheaper in the USA, but when you take into account cost of shipping and duties it seldom makes the effort worth while.

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 12:21:28 PM »
Twas ever thus! For some reason many products are to be found cheaper in the USA, but when you take into account cost of shipping and duties it seldom makes the effort worth while.
But makes DSS profit worthwhile, but at least companies like DSS, CSM and Yamiya, etal keep our bikes on the road - that said, eBay can be a useful for good used OEM or NOS stuff.
1972 UK XL250 K0 Motosport
1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 02:25:10 PM »
The USA doesn't have 20% Vat or UK Business rates to contend with.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 03:08:38 PM »
Even if you add VAT to 18 dollars = £13 + VAT it is still over the top at £27.43. If you have a business in the USA and one in the UK there is no import tax or duty as, it is classed as stock transfer  ;)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 06:46:31 PM »
To be honest, every time I have seen a disparity in prices I have phoned them, moaned about it  and got the USA price ..or even when CMS have a Genuine item listed a lot cheaper they have matched it. 
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 07:09:43 PM »
Just looked at 5 random items for CB500 in the £20 to £150 range. All are cheaper on UK site before tax. (2-4%).  USA has sales tax. For items sold internally within Pennsylvania it is 6% + 2% I think.
I also have bargained with DS if an item is cheaper via CMSNL. Has to be something pricey as delivery makes a big difference from the Netherlands.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 08:20:39 PM »
To be honest, every time I have seen a disparity in prices I have phoned them, moaned about it  and got the USA price ..or even when CMS have a Genuine item listed a lot cheaper they have matched it.

Have you tried Sliver with a price match with Yamiya  ::)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 08:43:36 PM »

Have you tried Sliver with a price match with Yamiya  ::)

No ..'cos totally different situation altogether ...Silver and CMS have a reciprocal selling arrangement. So some stuff on CMS is on DS site as 'Special order' and  CMS definitely sell DS's stuff .. as I know to my cost, as they tried to sell me a CB250 NOS exhaust that was wrongly marked by DS so I returned it but then it re-appeared on CMS ..still with the wrong part number.

By the way, I  bought a genuine set of new CB750 fork gaiters from Yamiya about two years ago and one of the bu*ggers has split already, even though it's fitted to the forks but never been used. My 1969 originals are still split-free but a bit hard at the top. Might try softening them.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 08:46:56 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Gromitdog

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2020, 09:08:53 AM »
Hi Graham

Nice one thank you for bring it to the forum it seems we will all have to barterer a better price from DS now that its out that his site in the USA is cheaper and its classed as "Stock Transfer" so no import / export taxes ! ! !  Or get a a larger order shipped from the USA and split shipping & taxes here in uk between us ????

KEEPING IT SHINY SIDE UP IS ALWAYS A GOOD RESULT ON A RIDE OUT

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2020, 12:09:16 PM »
One thing I did do earlier this year was to ask DS to order me a CD175 sloper genuine camchain C/W with split link from CMS and they just ordered it and charged me no extra post, as it was ordered with some other stuff from DS. It was going to be mega expensive shipping wise from CMS directly but I think the landed price to me via DS was about £23 .. which is an absolute steal, seeing as a bike breaker guy here is Hull wanted £15  for just a NOS spring link.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2020, 12:57:24 PM »
You should of grabbed one the last time you were here Ash  ::)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2020, 02:26:19 PM »
I honestly think DSS could cut costs of orders by pooling them into less packages, they will do that sometimes if you're ordering something on the phone.
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2020, 07:30:14 AM »
It's fairly typical of prices in general and certainly not just DSS.

Have a look at car prices, petrol prices, CD's, DVD's. Houses and property. All much much cheaper in North America.

Remember how you could buy a new car in Europe and import it back into the UK and save thousands of pounds?

That's why major international companies refer to the UK as Treasure Island.

Offline adespin

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2020, 09:39:18 AM »
It's fairly typical of prices in general and certainly not just DSS.

Have a look at car prices, petrol prices, CD's, DVD's. Houses and property. All much much cheaper in North America.

Remember how you could buy a new car in Europe and import it back into the UK and save thousands of pounds?

That's why major international companies refer to the UK as Treasure Island.

Totally agree with you.
1971 cb750 K1

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal