Author Topic: 1972 honda cb500k1  (Read 460 times)

Offline alan

• View Profile
1972 honda cb500k1
« on: November 02, 2020, 07:08:34 PM »
I've completed a nut and bolt rebuild of my 1972 Honda CB500K1, it starts ok but wont rev past about 4500 revs, I've narrowed it down to fuel stavation. During the rebuild all the carbs were ultrasonically cleaned and vapour blasted, then fitted with brand new carb sets with the correct sized jets for the standard air filter. I took off the tank to drain it becuse I thought there may be a problem with the petrol tap which is also new. Petrol started to drain from the fuel pipes then started to slow until it finally stopped all together. I open the fuel cap and it started running again then stopped every time I closed the tap. The petrol cap was again new, I compaired it with the original and noticed the original has a blank rivet which holds the rubber seal in place, the new cap has a phillips screw which can alter the hight of the seal holder. I was wondering if anyone else has come across this before, and if you have do you screw the screw in to let in more air or do you screw it out. cheers alan 

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: 1972 honda cb500k1
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 07:49:09 PM »
It sounds like the vent in the petrol  cap is blocked.

Have a look. Try poking a piece of wire through the hole in the cap.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal