Author Topic: PILOT LIGHTS NOT WORKING  (Read 700 times)

Offline Gromitdog

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
PILOT LIGHTS NOT WORKING
« on: November 02, 2020, 08:41:39 AM »
Sub Wiring loom 3210-593-00 posted 27/10/20

To carry on from last post the wiring loom is now slaved in and I have managed to get most of it to work  ;D, Except for the "Pilot cluster lights" ( The light cluster give Oil Px, High Beam, Neutral, & indicators ) I can not get any of these lights to work.. >:(

I know from the wiring digram that Neutral & Oil px lights go to earth to make the circuit and neutral has to be correctly positioned in "neutral gear" / adjusted on the clutch cable to bring the light on. I have check the clutch loom for continuity and that's ok.
I also can not get the direction indicators on the pilot cluster to work individually for Left & Right to come on with the L/H & R/H indicators they work as hazard lights at the moment .

Any help or guidance would be gratefully received please I know Its hard to do via a forum

Nigel
KEEPING IT SHINY SIDE UP IS ALWAYS A GOOD RESULT ON A RIDE OUT

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: PILOT LIGHTS NOT WORKING
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 08:47:22 AM »
Have you put led bulbs in the indicators by chance? As to the oil and neutral are they getting power on the black wire?

Offline Gromitdog

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 08:59:11 AM »
Hi Bryan
Thank you for your quick reply I will go and plug in the Black wire which is Switch wire into the Pilot light loom & check if I get a power to it & hopefully it will light up..... ::)  As for the indicators I have kept all as standard bulbs nothing fancy.

Thanks for up date

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 09:03:35 AM »
Would suggest that the indicator repeators are plugged in wrong, if there are two, one for each side, there should be 2 wires off each, an orrange and pale blue (one to each) and the second wire, which ought to be green (but may be black) goes to earth

Offline Gromitdog

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 09:15:38 AM »
Hi Bryan

Thank you for your quick reply I will check that out I already have the orange wire as L/H and pale blue as R/H both indicators front and rear work perfectly just got to sort the power out up onto the pilot cluster I am sure once I can get 1-2 lights working the rest will follow

Online Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 10:51:33 AM »
Just to say I have just gone through similar problem sorry if I’m pointing out the obvious but none of mine worked either and it was due to corrosion in all bulb holders. Removed the bulbs and holders from bike and cleaned. Al,now working, but think I will probably replace at some point.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline Gromitdog

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 01:22:54 PM »
Hi Jonny4428

Thank you for you up date on having a similar problem from what I can see the bulb holders are mint and looking in very good condition  :) I am starting to think the following,

1) Indicators work as hazard lights on the Pilot cluster that proves the inside 
     cluster return earth is ok just need to sort individual L/H & R/H pilot wires

2) If i apply switch power to the black wire going to the pilot cluster I don't get either the
    OIL PX or the Neutral light When I apply a direct earth back to the battery via the green
    wire so i am thinking is the black wire is broken up inside the cluster ????

3) If I have continuity with the Clutch lever on the handle bars is not pulled that is going to 
    give me a circuit back from the light back through the lever to earth ??

Offline Gromitdog

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 08:19:20 PM »
PILOT LIGHT FIXED ;D ;D  it was traced down to the black and green wires in the cluster loom internally broken where they join two wires into one of the same colour, Also the Blue headlight wire up to the jewel light was also broken internally.
This just goes to prove even though it was working when I last rode the bike 2 weeks ago these 40 year old wire a fragile ..................

Online Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 08:44:51 PM »
Very satisfying to get to the bottom of it and get them working. I couldn’t chance a start up on my bike until I had at least the oil pressure light working.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline Gromitdog

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2020, 08:17:44 AM »
Hi Jonny 4428

Very true other wise you could be in big trouble further down to road so to speak.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2020, 08:30:11 AM »
Probably been on and off and bent about a few times in its life and, like all of us; nothing gets younger!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal