SOHC.co.uk Forums > Other Bikes

Metric Nuts & Bolts advice sought ?

<< < (3/3)

bobv7:
I suspect we are all a bit guilty of being hoarders, especially with fasteners. I had a lifetimes collection but never seemed to be able to find the right one for the job so put the lot out for recycling and started off fresh with an organised selection. Guess what, I haven't needed one of them yet. Sods law?

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):

--- Quote from: Lobo on November 05, 2020, 10:07:15 PM ---Mac... my only comment is that you specify the type of head you need. I bought an expensive ‘restoration ’ / tailored set of fastenings for my 750, only to find they were all hex (Allen key) drives. I was **ssed off and wrote back asking how they were ‘restoration’ quality, but never got my £s back and now have oodles of SS hex fastenings.

--- End quote ---

I see the advantages of a SS hex head over JIS but not as you infer for restoration nay concourse quality. The hex head seems to get a lot of negatives on here.

bobv7:
Having grown up with the claim of "cheese" headed screws coming from Japan I realise that most of that came from not using JIS screwdrivers. However there was also a corrosion problem that even with the correct tool that the buggers wouldn't move. Fortunately I have a 1970's SnapOn impact driver that by sheer presence alone moves even the most stubborn fastener. I like allen head fasteners as they tend to come with their own torque wrench, unless of course you use a hex head on a socket driver. Apologies to those devoted to originality. ::)

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
When I took the clutch cover off my 250 Dream back in the late 60s using the Honda T bar tool most had to be drilled out! I fitted new screws from Honda dealer 18 months later they were all stuck fast again. I was dreading taking the cover off my 400/4 but using a cordless impact driver they all came out. - huge relief.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version