Author Topic: Final engine bolt(s) removal question ?  (Read 668 times)

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Final engine bolt(s) removal question ?
« on: November 10, 2020, 08:40:41 PM »
I have removed the sump & oil pick up strainer all of the upper  engine brackets are out. I have undone the rocker cover bolts in readiness for engine final stage lift out.

Engine  is now being supported by what looks like one long rear lower shaft plus a pair front lower bolt(s) that appear to screw into the engine separately?

I have lots of blocks of wood if I need to do some sort of support when I remove the last bolts.

Bearing in mind the lifting of the engine itself is there a good way/order  to remove the last of the engine support bolts
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
Re: Final engine bolt(s) removal question ?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 09:02:55 PM »
I prefer to remove the cam cover, cam, head and barrels while the engine is still in the frame - makes it much lighter and stops it wriggling around when removing the head bolts.  After that, the two front bolts with the sump resting on a suitable wooden block.
Then the remaining long bolt at the rear - usually the top one for me.
Very important:  the lower front bolts are different lengths - the longer one MUST NOT be fitted at the side where the main oil gallery plug is - it WILL puncture the case.

Ian

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 04:51:51 AM »
I prefer to remove the cam cover, cam, head and barrels while the engine is still in the frame - makes it much lighter and stops it wriggling around when removing the head bolts.  After that, the two front bolts with the sump resting on a suitable wooden block.
Then the remaining long bolt at the rear - usually the top one for me.
Very important:  the lower front bolts are different lengths - the longer one MUST NOT be fitted at the side where the main oil gallery plug is - it WILL puncture the case.

Ian

Thanks for the tip about the lower front bolts I will be sure to label the bots when I take them out.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 10:58:34 AM »
When the time comes to putting the engine back in your shinny newly painted frame the best way to do it is to place the engine on its side and place the frame over it. You need to leave the sump off, I replaced the sump pan before taking the photo. Keep the sidestand off as well until the engine is in otherwise it gets in the way. If you put the forks and swing arm on before placing over the engine you can pop the wheels back on whilst it's on the floor and lift it up as one complete unit.it is a two person job though but much easier and no chance of damage to the frame paint.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 11:12:32 AM »
Another great tip thanks. Ted

Offline SeanFD

• SOHC Member
  • "Still running against the wind"
    • View Profile
    • Belfast-2-Belfast-By-Bike
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 10:15:50 AM »
I used a length of M10 (or was it M12) threaded rod through the mounting lugs front and rear. With a strong assistant it was quite ease to get the engine out and in.

I had to jiggle it a bit taking it out, so left off the rocker cover and breather when reinstalling it and wrapped some bubble-wrap around the frame, just in case. And of course left sump off too.
CB750 K2 - Ridden from Belfast(SA)-2-Belfast(NI)!
CB750 K1 - The less, said the better!
CB450 K1 - A work in progress.
CB400F Supersport - Rusty - not any more!

Offline steven400/4

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 07:54:48 PM »
no need for wood block engine is wider than the frame so it will rest on the frame
cb400f2 x7
honda ss 50
gsx 1400

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 07:58:10 PM »
I used a length of M10 (or was it M12) threaded rod through the mounting lugs front and rear. With a strong assistant it was quite ease to get the engine out and in.

I had to jiggle it a bit taking it out, so left off the rocker cover and breather when reinstalling it and wrapped some bubble-wrap around the frame, just in case. And of course left sump off too.

I like that method - sort of lifting it out with stretcher handles.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal