Author Topic: How did stuff become so difficult?  (Read 3343 times)

Offline bobv7

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
How did stuff become so difficult?
« on: November 11, 2020, 03:08:34 PM »
First off an apology to anyone who feels targeted by this; honestly not intended!

Having read some of the questions being posted on this forum, have we got to the stage where we overthink just about everything? I read most topics out of interest and occasionally to see if I can offer an opinion or suggestion, but some are so basic and simple that I just think WHAT!!!!!. Are you really asking that! Most of the bikes owned here are so basic and simple to work on that back in the day a spanner in one hand and a Haynes manual in the other would have sorted nearly all problems. I know that sometimes this could end in the most horrendous insults to Japan's finest and a lot of non standard remedies resulted, but unless you had a mate handy with the tools you were on your own. Perhaps it's down to the arrogance of youth that all things were doable with a screwdriver and hammer but come on, age and experience should at least have some influence at this time of life?

Just get stuck in! End of rant.:D

Offline SeanFD

• SOHC Member
  • "Still running against the wind"
    • View Profile
    • Belfast-2-Belfast-By-Bike
Re: How did stuff become so difficult?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 03:24:30 PM »
I would venture that back then most of us didn’t know any better.

I certainly didn’t know, for just one example, how critical the run out is on the auto-advance unit when it comes to setting timing.

As is often said, there are no stupid questions; you can opt to remain ignorant, or you can ask!
CB750 K2 - Ridden from Belfast(SA)-2-Belfast(NI)!
CB750 K1 - The less, said the better!
CB450 K1 - A work in progress.
CB400F Supersport - Rusty - not any more!

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 03:57:55 PM »
I would venture that back then most of us didn’t know any better.

I certainly didn’t know, for just one example, how critical the run out is on the auto-advance unit when it comes to setting timing.

As is often said, there are no stupid questions; you can opt to remain ignorant, or you can ask!

Yes, there are no stupid questions, just posts that can intimidate the less technically knowledgeable or capable members from asking questions for fear of ridicule – I’m afraid the above post is a prime example and the sort I never thought I'd see on this forum. :-\ 
1972 UK XL250 K0 Motosport
1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 04:07:27 PM »
Because people can simply do things wrong, if in doubt ask here, expertise and previous experience abounds. Again, the only daft question is the one that never got asked.
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 04:50:03 PM »
It's very straight forward , if you don't know, you just don't know. This forum is one of the best in the UK for members giving answers and sharing their knowledge with less experienced or knowledgeable owners asking seemingly simple questions. Asking questions is how we learn, it's better to ask than cock something up through inexperience or lack of knowledge or even lack in one's own confidence and abilities.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 04:57:07 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 05:26:34 PM »
You might think that some of the posts are a bit basic but if you want real stupid, then go on the Classic Mini forum.  There was a half wit on there who had sheared a wheel stud on his apparently self modified Mini but noticed that his mate's Citroen Saxo only had 3 wheel nuts, so was asking if it was OK to use the Mini!

I'm 71 and still find many very useful replies on here - every day's a skool day!!

Ian

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 05:42:58 PM »
As Julie says if you don't know you don't know. Ask. Whoever is asking the basic of questions may well be a leader in their own field and often shake their head in despair at some of the questions asked of them. Fortunately usually someone comes along with the right answers. Without taking the piss or mocking.  ;)

Offline bobv7

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 06:05:14 PM »
I did apologise right at the start if anyone took this personally and there's absolutely nothing wrong with asking for advice. We all have to at some time. But that advice is only valuable if you ask the right questions and if you know how to apply the answers. These bikes are pretty basic to work on and get into a reasonable working condition, maybe not concours but rideable if that's what you want. I fully expected the cries of righteous outrage and disapproval at my suggestion, but I recognised at an early age I would never be a carpenter when the woodwork teacher told me that trees took too long to grow. I took the hint and stepped away from the tools. I did know someone who was shown many times how to set the timing on his bike but in the end it just wouldn't sink in. He wasn't thick, just didn't have the aptitude and was happier letting someone else do it. Sometimes we all have to that admit it would be a better job if someone else did it?

As I said at the start, there seems to be a growing tendency to overthink problems because the actual answer appears to be too obvious. We look for a technological solution when a nail would be the answer. It only gets worse when trying to include 2020 technology into a 1960's design; but that's only my personal opinion. Sorry if you don't like it.

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 06:13:49 PM »
I must admit that I am starting to ask questions that I wouldn't have asked pre me joining the forum - I just got on with it! But if I maybe had a knowlegable friend to bounce off pre forum, I maybe would have done exactly what I do when I ask questions on this knowlegable forum - effectively seek assurance
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 06:38:56 PM »
Back in the day, when factory workshop manuals were guarded by dealer networks like state secrets, we did the best we could to keep bikes on the road using mainly guesswork and heresay. If you think we're bad, look at some of the questions and answers in old copies of Motorcycle Mechanics.

I would much rather ask first than do a job twice, people do enjoy helping others out if they know how. That said I used to know a lad who thought he could keep a BSA 250 on the road with a little knowledge and a metric toolkit, some people really should just step away from the motorcycle and find someone who knows what they are doing.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 06:52:33 PM »
I intended to save that for the fun corner, but....

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 07:02:45 PM »
I've posted on computer forums and 50% of the time I never understand the answers. Knowledge base has changed in 50 years.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2020, 07:18:49 PM »
It all boils down to each to their own, there will always be those who will need a plumber for a water leak, or an electrician for a blown fuse, and to many others, having a set of tools does not necessarily mean they know how to use them, advice, however asked for or given is always welcome, helps to keep our dreams alive, and no matter how simple, keeps our bikes on the road.
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2020, 07:37:43 PM »
I spent my life working in oil refineries where doing the wrong thing could be fatal, so the rule was to always ask if you did not know and no questions were stupid which is something that is now deeply ingrained in me. 

I must admit though these days, I do check and re check things all the time whereas in the olden days I just dived in and got it done, I don't think that I have got wiser with age just more cautious.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2020, 07:41:34 PM »
hang on.....I'm NOT supposed to drink the battery?

OK...so I can stop trying to get those gel-cells to go up the straw then
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal