Author Topic: SORN MOT and Rod Tax  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: SORN MOT and Rod Tax
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2020, 10:50:59 AM »
On writing to change mine to historic, it triggered a return letter enclosing my request to inform me to insure it, MOT it, then take everything to the post office to tax it, and they would declare it tax and MOT exempt, that was last year!
It depends which muppet gets hold of the paperwork at DVLA as to the response you get 🙄🙄🙄
The bike does not need to be insured for the process of changing it to Historic and it does not need an MOT.
Changing the V5 to historic is a 2 minute process, done instantly on the spot at the post office. It even says on DVLA website it must be done at the post office. When you walk out of the Post office, it's legally Historic and you don't have to wait for V5 to come back. Obviously, if you are then going to ride the bike on the road, it needs to be insured, if its not going to be insured, SORN it.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2020, 05:08:12 PM »
On writing to change mine to historic, it triggered a return letter enclosing my request to inform me to insure it, MOT it, then take everything to the post office to tax it, and they would declare it tax and MOT exempt, that was last year!
There is a declaration form you can use  to declare  you are exempt from the requirement for a valid Mot
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2020, 06:52:21 PM »
The challenge I had was that there are Post Offices and there are Post Offices!

I can't recall now why, but I found out I had to tax the bike first, but I could then get that refunded, so I tried it.  Then I set about changing to Historic Vehicle at my local Post Office(s)...

Hunsdon village - shut on the day I tried.
Much Hadham village - never heard of that, mate.
Buntingford ( a small town) - never heard of it / we don't do it.
Hertford ( a county town) - we aren't that sort of post office / never heard of it / you need a proper post office ?!...there used to be a real post office, it moved, now it's some sort of modern-multi-purpose-shop/office/space/post office. ( for snowflakes?)
Do
I want to go to Stevenage /Harlow/ Welwyn and be rejected again - no.

I gave up and posted it...
.....and the inevitable letter came....you need to tax it.  IT IS TAXED!!!! I checked the govt. website...it shows as taxed... I sent the letter back, wrote over their letter that perhaps they could check their own website. And I even gave them the URL to help.

So they kindly sent the V5 Historic, but did they refund my full years tax? ( which I shouldn't have to pay?). No. They deducted a chunk, but I really can't be bothered to argue.  ...  because that's how governments work, by grinding you down.

I have a frame in the garage that needs to be classed as historic, so I'm just building my strength up to start that process too!
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline Andych

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2020, 05:53:13 AM »
This should properly explain all Government Departments....
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
1975 CB400 - Project
1978 Yamaha SRX250 - Project

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal