Author Topic: CB500 smoking oil-breather pipe  (Read 2636 times)

Offline toucheturtle

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
CB500 smoking oil-breather pipe
« on: November 07, 2009, 01:28:30 PM »
Hi,

The breather pipe leading from the rocker cover on my bike is smoking and leaking oil, apart from that it sounds pretty healthy, most noticeable on cold mornings. I did take the rocker cover off recently and noticed the 4 small round oil seals on the underside of the cover looked to be in poor shape, could these be to blame?

Thanks for any help,

Andy

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: CB500 smoking oil-breather pipe
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 02:42:54 PM »
A few of my bikes have done this, never assosiated it with any problem on my bikes but it's worth noting that the breather should link to the airbox, and then the airbox should have a drain tube that hangs down by the swing arm and these pipes are often displaced - have been on almost every cb550/500 I have owned anyway..........
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline toucheturtle

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 08:07:39 PM »
I think mine has a breather pipe straight from the cover to the back of the engine. Had the bike running for a while today and couldn't believe how much water and steam was coming from the exhaust drain holes. I suppose the design
 of them promotes condensation no wonder they're so prone to rotting.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 01:11:26 PM »
Matt only the 550 goes to the airbox, the 500 goes straight to atmosphere and does emit a lot of vapour but should not leak oil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal