Author Topic: Cb400f clutch basket damper rubbers  (Read 2491 times)

amx1992

Cb400f clutch basket damper rubbers
« on: November 20, 2020, 08:50:28 PM »
I know these aren't available, so I thought id have a go making a set

The originals were rock hard, split and had shrunk, allowing the play between the clutch and drive gear

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I made them out of teflon, because I didn't really have anything else more suitable to hand, i might try making a poly urethane set now I know how easy it is, but not sure how they will hold up to the heat and oil.

https://youtu.be/McekCbIILg4

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Cb400f clutch basket damper rubbers
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 09:18:54 PM »
Kevin, TTR 400, who manufactures some wonderfully engineered CB400/4 parts and sells them all over thd world, tried making them but they failed quite quickly. I can't remember what he made them of though.There is a thread on here about them somewhere. I hope yours work.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 09:30:22 PM »
https://www.uksealants.co.uk/soudal-silirub-ht-n-high-temperature-silicone-sealant.html

Maybe something like this if you made a mould in teflon.

Or mould in situ.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 10:13:21 PM »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

amx1992

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 10:20:10 PM »
Intresting, it seems viton would be the way to go, but to soft to be machined. I think these teflon ones will act more like the acetal ones ttr made, not much give, but might hold up better.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 11:07:07 PM »
Intresting, it seems viton would be the way to go, but to soft to be machined. I think these teflon ones will act more like the acetal ones ttr made, not much give, but might hold up better.

Nice looking adaption - I'm surprised DS or CMS haven't found a suitable replacement part.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 10:05:22 AM »
Years ago I had the dampers inside the CB750 primary drive analysed at Hul Uni. to determine what they are made from.
It turned out they are made of nitrile rubber but it is compounded with extra additives to give superior oil resistance to swelling and hardening at high temperatures than 'standard' nitrile rubber. I got the sample from a NOS CB750 part that had had the rubbers swapped for a racing setup. I used to work with the guy who owns this company linked below and he could definitey compound and mould the correct rubber as we used to make rubber parts for the automotive industry, at the P.L.C. we both worked for but not sure about tooling costs. Last time I spoke to him he was restoring a Gold Wing so he talks our language.

https://www.yell.com/biz/antivibe-hull-ltd-hull-2761000/ 

Following my analysis of the part, I this I found that a deidicated CB750 club in Germany was re-manufacturing them but only selling to club members.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline cliff7

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 01:17:52 PM »
The CB400F appears to have 3 cush drives, clutch, primary gear and rear hub. Does making one with less give in it have any disadvantages?  Replacing the dual mass flywheel on a car with a solid one often works but I have also heard of increased vibration and even crankshaft failure. Be interesting to see the outcome of the Teflon ones as I think mine need replacing.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 02:07:04 PM »

If your Teflon ones work there is a business opportunity here !
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2020, 12:32:37 PM »
The CB400F appears to have 3 cush drives, clutch, primary gear and rear hub. Does making one with less give in it have any disadvantages?  Replacing the dual mass flywheel on a car with a solid one often works but I have also heard of increased vibration and even crankshaft failure. Be interesting to see the outcome of the Teflon ones as I think mine need replacing.

Yes to the question of disadvantages.  All of these system  components are specifically developed and included to control, mitigate or reduce the unwanted forces inherent within the working design of the engine and transmission in getting disparate frequencies to not cause breakage and improve lifing of individual components.

The dual mass flywheel is an interesting (valid in this thread context as some of the measures are easily discussed) comparison as it incorporates more than one method. Originally responding to diesel engines as they became more prevalent in refined passenger cars.
With a four cylinder diesel originally having a heavy flywheel to absorb slow pulse vibrations at low crank speed,  the need to lighten the flywheel effects and speed up engine response to better match petrol motors asked for reduced mass,  but then they shake like hell, making it very harsh at tickover.
The dual mass allows one part of the flywheel to spin independently of the other over a controlled maximum angle and restrained by springs. This lets one piece oscillate with the crank pulses while not transferring the peak to pass into the transmission.  At low speeds the two are operating close to their optimum absorption characteristics,  hence the crankshaft is pulsing with big frequencies but you don't get to feel it.  Like have suspension within your drive line.
As the crankshaft speeds up the frequency doesn't have the peaks and troughs at such high amplitude so the two parts become much more in synchronisation,  but the springs in the flywheel will still cushion the drive especially if you abruptly shut the throttle as a diesel has pretty severe closed throttle deceleration.  It's all part of how refined current diesels feel and you could see that by not allowing this movement to happen then the peaks of the frequencies are just rattled through the component set to it's detriment.
There's little telltale signs of how effective it is too. With many diesel engines running one way clutches on the alternator as letting the crankshaft oscillations free the ancillary drive also pulses at this rate. The alternator pulley then lets the speed up part of crank pulse (firing event) accelerate the alternator spindle,  but as the crankshaft pulse slows the alternator can over run the belt drive and not clatter it.
As injection development has improved both timing and accuracy,  this need is getting less with low speed pulses significantly reduced when no load is being used.  Which is why they sound much better nowadays in any size diesel engines. This has a parity with how we set idle circuits on these Honda engines too,  it illuminates how critical and useful the adjustments are on the carb sets in use.

This is all happening in our engines, but less seen. Which is why the various cush drives are incorporated.

The cush drives within the Honda engine are primarily to mitigate pulse peaks imposed on the primary drive chain in my view.  Its a very clever drive system but with very very simple bearing properties in the structure.  They are also susceptible to vibration peaks which can dramatically shorten their life, making the absorption curve of the rubber components vital to their function.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 12:46:24 PM »
To add, as these measures are incorporated into the original design, it follows that the design and R&D process ultimately leads to excess being removed from the components as part of improvements in performance.

Simply deleting or compromising them then steps the design in the opposite direction,  reducing component's life ultimately.

Offline vehmulski

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2020, 11:23:27 PM »
For info:- Update on on previous thread:-
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,18619.msg166659.html#msg166659

Viton clutch damper rubbers now completed approx 700 miles mostly local driving, Recent check revealed clutch basket freeplay still non exsistant and no vibration or noise noticed from clutch area. I would suggest vition as a possible solution.

Will feedback after 1500 miles.

Offline Eddie Kirby

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2023, 12:23:54 PM »
Tried contacting Max few times to no avail. I'm desperate to find these basket cushions. Anyone have any contact with him or know of anyone else supplying these.?????

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2023, 02:41:18 PM »
I have contact with him Eddie, last time we talked he told me he was waiting for some new Viton sheeting to arrive.

When he's made some more I'll buy a couple of sets and sell them on here for him, might be cheaper than his Ebay price but I haven't negotiated a price with him yet so we'll have to wait and see.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2023, 05:39:58 PM »
Forgot one thing Eddie, there are 2 versions of the rubbers, Max only makes the one like are shown at the beginning of this thread so you'd need to make sure yours are the same type.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal