SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB750

Dry sump!

<< < (3/3)

Johnny4428:
Thanks Trigger!

MrDavo:
You know that your oil is definitely coming back from the engine if it becomes hot!

My CB750 K1 would empty its oil tank virtually overnight when I first got it, the leak stopper valve, like every other bit of rubber on the bike, had turned to stone over the years, they literally fossilize. After looking for replacements on the net, the one place on the planet I found offering all the seals I needed to rebuild my oil pump was Trigger!

Edit: If you think the oil level checking procedure is a faff, on my air cooled (& dry sump) 911, the oil level is checked using a dipstick in the oil tank with the engine running, and hot enough to open the thermostat to the oil cooler behind one of the headlights. The car also has 3 oil gauges (temp, pressure & level).

Andrew-S:
Useful thread - my K1 which I bought in Dec 18 had been off the road and dry stored since 2015. I changed the oil and fired it up in Jan 19 and haven't started it since, so the above posts prompted me to check the oil level today which I'm glad to say hasn't dropped at all.  :)

K2-K6:
"Edit: If you think the oil level checking procedure is a faff, on my air cooled (& dry sump) 911, the oil level is checked using a dipstick in the oil tank with the engine running, and hot enough to open the thermostat to the oil cooler behind one of the headlights. The car also has 3 oil gauges (temp, pressure & level).
« Last Edit: Today at 03:57:39 PM by MrDavo »"

That's the correct way to check the level on any dry sump systems ( unless specifically stated otherwise) as it's the "running level that's most critical to it's operation and shouldn't give you false readings. Static and non running, on a well designed system should give the same reading,  with significant difference between the two indicating something isn't functioning as intended.

In this case the variance shows the compromise of leaking stop valve.

Automatic transmissions are the same too generally as the pump and torque converter move the oil in fair volume,  so static measurements can result in too high measurement, in effect giving the opposite of Honda giving under fill when oil changed. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version