SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB350/400

Carb Rebuild - to do myself or send away?

(1/5) > >>

waffey:
Hi,

I thought I might have a go at the carbs whilst its damp and it's a job I can do while waiting on other parts and more cash.

My first question is do I send them away as an easy option and get them back looking like new and who might do that?

Should I do it myself  (I've never done this before)? I think I can rebuild them and have started but already the first carb has the float pin stuck >:( I dont want to end up damaging them). The bike was sat from 1997 so I guessing lots of 'stuck' parts may await me.
and....not sure if I should strip them down to every single component or part strip before getting cleaned in a friends ultrasonic cleaner.

Thanks in advance again

K2-K6:
It's so very easy to snap those post supporting the float pins, and not really a competent repair other than another carb body.

For sending out,  Gerben (search forum for contact) is a very well regarded route to refurbishment on here.

If you want to get initial grime etc off them,  and may free up some stuck parts, you could try a steam wallpaper stripper with a nozzle fitted to dissolve any buildup.  It's gentle and generally removes without heavy scrubbing.

Nurse Julie:
Definitely do them yourself. I sell complete Viton O ring kits as all yours will need replacing. Use the existing brass ware. There are guides in tricks and tips on the forum of how to bench sync and set float heights, there are vids on Facebook and we are all here to help with advice. You can send the to Gerben for a full recondition / overhaul but it's not cheap. Have a go, you have nothing to loose.

Bryanj:
Be gentle and careful, a small amount of heat can help but not a lot as they are not ally but something called potmetal (otherwise know as shiteite). You can go to a paint supplier and get a gallon of gunwash to soak them in but in as closed can, not as volatile as it used to be but still a loish flashpoint

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
I did mine a few months ago - as said with patience it can be done.

To give you an idea of how bad mine were the throttle slides were jammed solid after 12 years of standing on a 40 year old bike.

My main method to free them off  was to totally immerse them in Petrol in a sealed big Tupperware type box and fit the lid. Leave for a day or two then sprayed with carb air intake aerosol and gently tried to move them.

This video gave me confidence plus members here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jsc3eWhVlM

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version