Author Topic: Oil leak and genuine parts  (Read 421 times)

Offline Fourplay

• View Profile
Oil leak and genuine parts
« on: May 15, 2021, 06:48:30 AM »
Hello,

Just recently bought a 1979 registered 400/4 F2 with 39,000 miles on the clock (believed genuine). Still to get it running properly currently awaiting engine service kit from DSS. A planned weekend of fettling scuppered due to the wet weather (old style front garden job for me).

There seems too be an oil weep from the filter housing and sump. the sump looks like its taken a bashing with fin damage also the filter housing has one fin broken off. Would ideally like to replace these at some point. If I find any cracks in the housings I'll have to do it sooner. Hopefully it'll just be gasket issues. See photo. The cam chain adjuster looks like its screwed quite far in see photo (is this a cause for concern?)

Looking back through receipts it has had new pistons fitted in 2006 at 36,000 miles by Hunts of Manchester with a recommendation that the carbs be looked at (a set of unbranded carb service kits came with the bike but were never fitted). A new front mudguard was also bought (numbered 61100377000) How can I tell if this is genuine?  Also New Hagon shocks. By the same dealer Exhaust Pipe 1 and 3 and new silencer. Again is it possible to tell if these are genuine? Part numbers on the receipts are correct, but are these meaningless.

The seat looks pretty new (no receipt) numbers on the base don't correspond with anything I can find the set clicks into place on the lock but doesn't quite seat properly further back. I'm presuming this is non-original. Base also looks quite flimsy.

I'm not that bothered if the parts are aftermarket replacements it would just be good to know what I've got should I wish to sell it on at a future date and be honest with a future owner.

My intention is too give it a full service, strip and clean the carbs (reuse the original jets etc if within spec.) and bench tune and synch the cabs.
And Ride it.

If the cam chain adjuster has been compromised I guess a full strip is in order.

Thanks for reading any advice/tips gratefully received.

Cheers,

Justin

2009 Ducati Monster M1100S
1979 Honda 400/4 F2
1969 Honda SS125A
1961 Triumph 5TA Speed Twin
1956 Triumph TR5 Trophy
1956 Triumph T20 Tiger Cub

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Oil leak and genuine parts
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 07:26:43 AM »
Filter housing is same as all the fours but sump pan is only 400 i think(350 might fit but there are less of them in UK).
Both are sealed with O rings.
Carbs you use the original brass(jets,needles etc) with maybe the kits O rings or a viton O ring kit from Nurse Julie

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 07:47:15 AM »
"The cam chain adjuster looks like its screwed quite far in see photo (is this a cause for concern?"

The bolt is just screwed in at 90 degree to a sliding rod that adjusts the chain, and so won't show you much. To use it it's undone to let the internal mechanism slide under spring tension to move itself then locked off again.

Worthwhile looking at the 400 rebuild thread for really good overview and understanding of what it's doing to help you judge if it's needing attention or not.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 09:40:14 AM »
The seat looks genuine with the 377-000 part number (unless it's a pattern seat from DSS who I think stamped the part number on the repro seats). Check the thickness of the rubber pad attached to the base of the seat and that sits on the bridge piece over the rear mudguard (as in your photo). If it's a pattern seat the rubber will be much to thick and will stop the seat base sitting correctly. It will need about 8mm cut off by very carefully prising it out from the mounting, it has two moulded in bungs that push into openings in the seat pan to locate it. Alternatively contact DSS who I think know of the problem and can supply a thinner rubber. I had the same issue with mine and so did another member on here.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 03:22:34 PM »
The underside of the seat looks too clean to be 40 years old so I doubt it's the original - could be NOS or a DS Reproduction - looks good anyway.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal